Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 12:45 PM
    I've got a hose that I attach onto the sink to bring the water in, but to siphon it out I have to use a bucket, which is a pain when you're doing a 50% water change on a 55. I guess it isn't too bad; I could've gotten off much worse.
    Be reasonable. Do it my way.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Dani :)
    Last Activity
    04-08-2014 4:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vwill279 View Post
    The 50' python is worth every single penny unless you have tiny fish or shrimp that might be sucked up. The only tanks where I have to do bucket changes anymore are the ones where I am terrified to accidentally have a fish go down the sink drain. They come in 75' too if 50 is too short. Makes water changes SO fast and easy! Love it!
    I have a python as well, and it was the best investment ever! You can easily do 30% water changes on three tanks over 55 gallons in under 10 minutes! I have nothing but gratuity towards the makers of python! And no lugging water anymore, which is sooo nice because I am fairly weak and would have to carry 3 gallons full to prevent spillage, which took forever. As for fish getting sucked up, if you can see them, then I just make sure to keep it away from fish, along with sticking it on the driftwood or something where they can't get sucked up.
    10 gal planted with 4 male guppies
    10 gal planted with 6 ADF'S and 4 kuhli loaches
    Adopted 2 year old female pitbull dachshund heeler mix, Roxy
    Brother and sister 8 year old kitty cats, Jasmine and Samson

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-05-2012 6:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfriend1 View Post
    Well... I could hook up a hose to my utility sink, but it's three rooms over and IDK if I'll be able to find a hose long enough that fits on the util's faucet. Worth a shot though. If I can get a hose long enough to do that, then it should be able to reach the sub-pump too, thusly eliminating the need for windows or buckets

Now I just need to find a hose that long lol

The hose is outdoor, the sink is 3 rooms over, and all the windows are 6ft above the tank. It's in the basement.
    Well if you can't get a Python, I don't see why you couldn't get a regular garden hose in whatever size you need, and attached that to utility sink. Then you can adjust the water temp and fill your tank.

Ghpr1957

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-23-2013 8:42 AM
    You know they make pythons 100 feet long, right? They also make extensions for them.

You can also take a small fish net, cut the netting off, and use a zip tie or rubber band to hold it onto the end of the python so you don't suck up any fish. I don't know about anyone else, but my freaking fish are facinated by the python end and actually try to swim up it, ESPECIALLY if there are particles they think are food going up the hose that they want to eat....I have piggy fish...
    Last edited by Taari; 02-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    “When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire;
    when I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire-
    O, be thou then the first, the one thou art; be thou the calling, before all answering love,
    and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire.”
    ― George MacDonald, The Diary of an Old soul

Usergroup
    AC Members
    I use the Python for tank filling and water changes. Every time I place a tank I measure out the distance from the sink with our Python to make sure I can use it. Love the Python!
    I've never had a fish get sucked into the Python. You simply keep it very low to the substrate in the front corner by you and you can see right through it so it's not difficult to keep fish away from it. I have shooed a few curious fish away before, but no casualties from it.

The easiest solution for you if a sink and a Python are not an option, is a large holding container (tank, plastic bin, trash can) next to the tank. Fill the container using the hose and let it sit a day or more to warm up to room temp. If the basement is too chilly add a heater to the container. If you plan to keep water in the container at all times a trash can with a lid is a good choice to keep dust and debris from getting into your clean water.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    I see the python has been covered, with extensions, etc.
    Just wanted to add something I do when worried about small fish.
    I have some of these lying around, and just stick one about half way in the end of the syphon tube.

Sponge filter (replacement)
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...35&pcatid=4635
    55g Planted - no longer exists.

40g Planted

Fishlover Extraordinaire Fishfriend1's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Mr. Palmer
    Blog Entries
    I need to get a python now...
    Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Budda
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendesh
    Welcome to Ikebukuro, watch out for flying vending machines.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Heath
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 1:58 PM
    I change the water on my 100g with a 5g bucket...builds some serious muscle. Kidding...mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigrid View Post
    The local mini-pet store folks would not know a dandelion from a marijuana plant, oooops "noxious weed", and that is the sad truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMinNC View Post
    *pokes dead horse with stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastoma View Post
    Don't throw fish. That's not nice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 12:45 PM
    I change the water on my 100g with a 5g bucket...builds some serious muscle. Kidding...mostly.
    +1
    Be reasonable. Do it my way.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Conway
    Last Activity
    02-27-2014 9:31 AM
    We have 10 tanks. From a 12 gallon all the way up to 180 gallons and a bunch in between from the 50 to 90 gallon range. Id be in trouble doing water changes without my Python water changing system. Ive got the 50 ft unit with a 25 foot extension for when I need it. It does a great job siphoning the water out and when im ready to fill I drag the siphon end back to the sink use my most accurate digital thermometer and get the water coming out the end of it on temp with the tanks.. or so close it doesnt matter. 1 to 2 degrees isnt going to make a difference. While im filling a tank I add my water conditioner (Prime) to the tank and its good to go. Fill that one up and move to the next one. I also do the fish net trick. buy a larger fish net and put it over the end of the siphon with a zip tie or rubber band. It will keep from having my shrimps and my smaller fish getting sucked up. Then you have no worries. Alot of the times I actually siphon the water outside using the Python. I let it drain into my flower beds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information