37 gallon freshwater aquarium, first fish tank in over 6 years

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guybrush

AC Members
Dec 28, 2011
Missoula, MT
Real Name
John
I figured I should start a build thread like everyone else. A friend at work upgraded his piranaha tank from 37 to 75 gallons and gave me his old tank. I'm hoping to make this a low-light planted community tank. I'm using an aquaclear 70 filter with a 150 watt heater. I have a couple sponge filters in the tank I was thinking of using for another project, but I wanted to cycle them. Just finished my fishless cycle today, bacteria are turning 4ppm of ammonia twice daily into nitrate within 6 hours, but I don't plan on adding fish until I finish the stand and move the tank to the family room. I built an overbuilt stand roughly following this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ&feature=g-all-u&context=G2586e51FAAAAAAAAAAA.

I've got some locally found driftwood soaking right now for decortation. I was thinking of a school of tetras and maybe a pair of Bolivian Rams or Kribensis depending on what I can source locally. Maybe some Java Fern or Anubias, I'll see what I can find.

water params:

pH 7.8
GH ~250
KH 7

Some photos so far:

DSCN2673.JPG (2.09 MB)

DSCN2674.JPG (2.25 MB)

DSCN2675.JPG (2.10 MB)

DSCN2673.JPG DSCN2674.JPG DSCN2675.JPG

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Nice! Can't wait to see pics when you've got the tank filled with fish and the driftwood.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I love my little kribensis pair! They are SO adorable, colorful, and interesting to watch and their spawning behavior has to be some of the best among smaller fish. The only things that you have to watch with them is that they can be defensive when they're breeding, and judging from my pair which spawned a whole 8 days after I bought them, it will be a relatively constant thing. Mine are in a 38 long tank with 3 guppies and 4 swordtails and a rubberlip pleco. Generally they leave the other fish alone except when they get too close to their breeding cave. You definitely dont want to get other bottom dwellers with them since your cave is a tall and they hang out in the bottom. Mine rarely go more than 6 or 7 inches from the bottom of the tank, and that is usually during feeding time. Top and mid swimming tetras would be a good bet. Something hardy and fast. Make sure that you add some rock caves to the tank for them to breed in. They still might breed without a cave, but IMO its better for them to have an enclosed area for them to defend rather than a section of driftwood or a corner of glass. Sand or fine gravel is the best substrate, which it looks like you have cause they like to dig out their cave areas. You might want to make sure that any plants you get are either like java fern or anubias which you can tie to something or figure out a way to weight it down. Mine have already dug out most of my potted plants (kept them potted so they wouldnt float).

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I have a female german blue ram in a 40 breeder. I'm going to get a male for her tomorrow. She's in with a chocolate gourami (they're buddies), 6 ember tetras, 4 otos, and I just added a stiphodon goby lastnight. She's so full of personality. I did a water change the other day and had my hand in the tank to rearange some plants and she was right there picking at my fingers. She's so colorful I'd say she was a male if it wasn't for the fat pink belly and shorter rounded fins.

My ram has not shown breeding behavor yet as she doesn't have a male, but she is very nice to the other fish and asside from chasing the tetras (who can outswim her no problem) she leaves everyone alone, and even plays follow the leader with the gourami, who is very shy.

Generally Rams are protective and territorial while breeding, but they won't actually harm any fish that is smart enough to get away from their "spot". I've heard some people say that cories have a hard time grasping the concept of "leave us alone!" but fish like tetras and rasbora tend to cruise around in the open, mid-level areas of the tank and won't spend alot of time in the hidey-holes that rams are likely to claim for their eggs anyway.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I had a krib pair once...pretty colorful and interesting fish. Same with the rams, but I liked the rams more.

:cheers:

Guybrush

AC Members
Dec 28, 2011
Missoula, MT
Real Name
John
I'm leaning toward the rams, but I can't seem to find any within 100 miles of here. I am fairly certain there are some kribs in town though. If I wait until the end of march I could get some rams in Portland, but then they would have to ride 600 miles in the car and I would probably have to buy them the day before I drive back. I guess I could put them in a cooler with a battery powered air pump or something. Also it seems like my pH might be too high and my water too hard for rams. I'll have to give that some thought.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
If you pass through Spokane, the shop I get my Ram's at has some. It's called Aquarium Solutions and run by a nice lady named Barbie who's a member of this forum. She doesn't post here anymore, but she used to.

Guybrush

AC Members
Dec 28, 2011
Missoula, MT
Real Name
John
That would only be like 3 hours in the car on the way back. That could work well, I've got lots of time to figure it out. For now I think I will focus on getting some stain on the stand tomorrow.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
Great start! I have this exact size tank. I have it set up with pretty low tech plants, mostly swords that are getting big, and basic stuff like crypts on the bottom, java fern and some hygro polysperma. I have tetras, rainbowfish, and danios which makes for an active tank. It's a pretty tall tank so plants at the bottom have to be pretty low light tolerant, or you need good lights. Your water is on the alkaline side which rams won't like, although I think the bolivians are more tolerant of that? I live in the Portland area and there is a local source of rams here that my LFS has once in a while. I think you will do well with the AC filter. Mine has a pretty long intake tube which is needed in a tank this tall. Nice stand by the way!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
If you call Barbie about two weeks before your trip and tell her your situation she will either hold a pair of rams for you, or make sure she has some ordered and in when you get there so long as they are on her order list.

To make the trip a little less stressfull, you could prepare a 5 gallon bucket. Get an AC adapter for your car with a normal outlet on it and put a heater and a sponge filter with a bubbler in the bucket. It would be even better if the sponge filter was cycled and you could keep it fed during the trip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store