Amquel smells

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frogguy1

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
San Antonio,Tx
Visit site
I was doing a water change today and when I poured some amquel in the water it smelled like rotten eggs. I know it wasnt supposed to smell like that, so I opened my new bottle to smell it and it smelled fine. I hope it dosent affect my water in any bad way. It was only about a teaspoon. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?:confused:

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i usually stock up when i go to this one store thats a few hours away and it lasts for over a year. still no smell.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I find that amquel can start to become rather, strong smelling, as it starts to get low in the bottle.
Amquel + is the one that stinks, lol
Amquel (no plus) doesnt stink.
Its cause it has like, a form of sulpher in it I think
The smell DOES go away, and if you put too much in, well, not too MUCH per say, but if you have a large concentration per gallon, then the smell would be quite prevalent.
my tank has alot of circulation which helps to dissipate the smell

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I find the stuff that does chlorine/chlorimine and ammonia is little smelly. Not horribly gym underwear RANK smelling, but a little stinky. Its goes away, but it all depends on how much you use. Large concentrations per gallon make it reek for a bit. I think its a combo of the chemicals mixing together produces that as a by-product, but its goes away

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
I've been using SeaChem's Prime for dechlorination and have taken note of a mild hint of sulphur. Still on my first bottle of this potent stuff, 1ml treats 10gal. So I can't say with certainity if this common with every bottle.

However, I just had the urge to look at the ingredients on the bottle and only things I can find are... "Contains complexed hydrosulfite salts" and "Sulfur odor is normal."

Your brand may be different, but with Prime it appears to be a noted smell.

Cheers,
Raithan O. Ellis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store