Geo experts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
How big are these fish? Also did they have a name on the label? I don't see any black bars under the eyes but do they have any?

I'm baffled at the moment but hopefully we can figure it out.

pjsammut1969

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
Melbourne Australia
The fish were about 4 inches in length and had no visible bars under the eyes or face, and not any I could see on the body. They were labeled as geo species only and the LFS owner had no idea what variant. They had extensive red on their fins particularly on the end of the tail. So sorry about the poor pics and I appreciate your opinion. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I can tell you what they're not and that's Geo. Steindachneri, I have them(red hump eartheaters)
I like the colors on that Geo, very pretty.

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
The caudal fin is what screws it up for me. G. abalios' caudal fin has a mix of spots and stripes while your photos only show spots. Also G. altifrons has a tiny lateral spot of 4 scales or smaller.

Right now I'm leaning towards Geophagus sp. Tapajos II. These are a different fish from G. sp. Red head Tapajos. I don't have much info on them but that is what your fish remind me of. I'm definitely not positive on the ID but maybe try posting on MFK, there are more Geo enthusiast over there that are good at IDing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store