Getting new fish for my birthday!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Hey all!

So I have a couple questions. I get to pick out some raingarden fish for my birthday!!! EEEEEEEK! :perv: Steve's probably getting annoyed with all the questions I'm emailing him, and I know you guys are totally capable of answering these so that I can leave that poor man alone. :grinno:

There's three fish I'm looking at. I'll include the numbers just in case you want to look (just don't buy them or you're in big trouble!!!! :p). :) Side-view Ranchu 8455 (pretty sure is a female, I don't see tubercles), which is 2.7"/3.7" with tail, PearlScale 8400 (male), which is 3.2"/4.4", and Shukin 8430 (also pretty sure is female), which is 3.4"/6.1". Right now I have a male black moor who's about 2.3"/3.5" and a 90% positive female comet who's about 2.5"/4.5". This is in a 75 gallon tank with an aquaclear 70 and two larger sponge filters with air stones. My questions are:

1) Can I add all three fish at the same time? Or is that too much for my tank to handle? They're all pretty small still, so I'm not sure. I do weekly 25%-ish water changes and siphon my sand well each time. I also take a turkey baster to my tank about 5 times a week to remove the previous day's poop/any uneaten food (I do it right after feeding usually).

2) I was planning on adding a second AC70 at a later point, do I need to do that before or really close to when I introduce the new ones? I was hoping to be able to wait a few months after adding the new stock since I'll be dropping about $260 on the new stock. I have a filter for my empty 10 gallon QT that needs reseeding that I could switch over to the 75 in the meantime. Not much but it's better than nothing.

3) I let my ten gallon kind of die a little. It's just been running with nothing in it, and isn't really suitable for a QT right now. My fish are healthy and I know Steve does a pre-shipping quarantine and purging. Will I be ok if I don't quarantine? I have some melafix that I keep on hand for emergencies, but that's about all I have for medicine. Should I dose the tank with that when I put them in?

4) Do you think I'll be able to add one more fish sometime in the future? It's just a tad overstocked that way, but I figured since I'll have the 2 sponges and 2 AC70's, it would be ok?

Thanks guys!!!!! You all are the best!

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Ok, so I should just give up on sexing goldfish. Steve says the Ranchu and Shukin are males. But says he thinks the pearlscale is probably female, though I swore I saw tubercles on the right side gill plate.....

Anyways, this makes me ask one more question...is this too many males for the one female comet?

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
If you add them all at once, be prepared to possibly do daily water changes for about a week (maybe 2) while your biofilter catches up to the new stock load. You might get ammonia and nitrite spikes (not as bad as newly cycling) for a bit while your bio bugs grow. You can do it, just stock up on the prime, and test the water often to make sure you aren't getting into the danger zone with water params- w/c & do protective doses of prime as needed. Get a python style water changer, it will make it easier- you don't have to lug buckets, or sit right on top of the tank, for draining or filling. Just stick a pair of pantyhose over the bottom end, so no one gets sucked into it. (which would be hard with the fish your size, but, better safe than sorry.) It takes me literally 15 minutes to drain and fill my 75 gallon for 25% changes- and I don't have to be right on top of it the entire time (I usually do other housework, and check on it every couple of minutes). http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquari...41121932&sr=8-3&keywords=python+water+changer . Your female is the comet, so, she could handle more chasing from double tailed males than a fancy female could. In fact, they recommend if you are going to breed (not picking a specific 2) that you have 3 males for every 2 females... which is what you'd have if you got all 3 from Raingarden. If yours do breed, you may even end up with some nymphs (fancy bodies with a single tail) from that comet & a fancy cross. Could be pretty cool! I would add the filter as soon as you can- you really can't over filter goldfish, but you surely can under filter them. Yes, you want to add the 10 gallon filter over to your 75 gallon tank to re-seed it. Even if you aren't going to use it as a QT tank, it opens the option to instantly throw together a hospital tank, in case of illness of one of your fish. While it's always better to QT ANY new fish, I think you'd be OK to skip that with fish from Raingarden, since you really don't have anywhere TO QT them- they have a great reputation, and I am sure they are treated for bugs and etc. before shipping out. Just don't add any of their shipping water to your tank- You're also going to have to check the bagged water PH before putting them into your tank, and you may need to do a slow PH acclimation to avoid shocking them. PM me if you have questions about that, or put a post up for it, and a bunch of ppl will answer, I am sure! Good things to have on hand at all times are prazi-pro (parasites), aquarium salt, medikoi or medigold medicated food (make it into a gel food before feeding the stuff is MESSY as all get up- putting it into a gel reduces that greatly.), the melafix is ok for scrapes and torn fins- won't help with much else, but good for a topical antiseptic. Ok- gonna go look at your soon to be new fishy friends! (yay!)

Last edited:

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Ok, all of the little chunkers you have picked out, there, are pretty adorable- that pearlscale, though, is STUPID cute! Holy chubby-kins! Super cute, Jess! Congrats. :D

Last edited:

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
If you add them all at once, be prepared to possibly do daily water changes for about a week (maybe 2) while your biofilter catches up to the new stock load. You might get ammonia and nitrite spikes (not as bad as newly cycling) for a bit while your bio bugs grow. You can do it, just stock up on the prime, and test the water often to make sure you aren't getting into the danger zone with water params- w/c & do protective doses of prime as needed. Get a python style water changer, it will make it easier- you don't have to lug buckets, or sit right on top of the tank, for draining or filling. Just stick a pair of pantyhose over the bottom end, so no one gets sucked into it. (which would be hard with the fish your size, but, better safe than sorry.) It takes me literally 15 minutes to drain and fill my 75 gallon for 25% changes- and I don't have to be right on top of it the entire time (I usually do other housework, and check on it every couple of minutes). http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquari...41121932&sr=8-3&keywords=python+water+changer . Your female is the comet, so, she could handle more chasing from double tailed males than a fancy female could. In fact, they recommend if you are going to breed (not picking a specific 2) that you have 3 males for every 2 females... which is what you'd have if you got all 3 from Raingarden. If yours do breed, you may even end up with some nymphs (fancy bodies with a single tail) from that comet & a fancy cross. Could be pretty cool! I would add the filter as soon as you can- you really can't over filter goldfish, but you surely can under filter them. Yes, you want to add the 10 gallon filter over to your 75 gallon tank to re-seed it. Even if you aren't going to use it as a QT tank, it opens the option to instantly throw together a hospital tank, in case of illness of one of your fish. While it's always better to QT ANY new fish, I think you'd be OK to skip that with fish from Raingarden, since you really don't have anywhere TO QT them- they have a great reputation, and I am sure they are treated for bugs and etc. before shipping out. Just don't add any of their shipping water to your tank- You're also going to have to check the bagged water PH before putting them into your tank, and you may need to do a slow PH acclimation to avoid shocking them. PM me if you have questions about that, or put a post up for it, and a bunch of ppl will answer, I am sure! Good things to have on hand at all times are prazi-pro (parasites), aquarium salt, medikoi or medigold medicated food (make it into a gel food before feeding the stuff is MESSY as all get up- putting it into a gel reduces that greatly.), the melafix is ok for scrapes and torn fins- won't help with much else, but good for a topical antiseptic. Ok- gonna go look at your soon to be new fishy friends! (yay!)
If I add safestart would that help? I have a 70 gallon-worth bottle.
I talked over the water changer with the bf, and he is STOKED to not have to carry buckets anymore...we'll definitely be ordering that on friday. :)
As for the 10gal filter, I'll be moving that over tomorrow when I do my water change. I realize you can't over filter goldies, but will the 10 gal filter+AC70 be enough for a month give or take a couple weeks maybe, as long as I keep up on water changes? Thanks for all the help, Jamie. You're wonderful as always. :)

Ok, all of the little chunkers you have picked out, there, are pretty adorable- that pearlscale, though, is STUPID cute! Holy chubby-kins! Super cute, Jess! Congrats. :D
The Ranchu's cheeks crack me up!!!! My boyfriend said it looked just like this baby picture of me, and we knew we had to get it. LOL, I was a ranchu baby!!!!

302125_256221867758437_1020270386_n.jpg

8455c.JPG

AND THE PEARLSCALE, I KNOW RIGHT?! OMG, that is the fattest fish I have ever seen. I might have to up my veggies to make sure it doesn't get floaty, but as soon as I saw it I HAD to have it. Did you watch its video?! My bf and I were CRYING we were laughing so hard!! I'm not the biggest fan of it's coloring (I have too many orange and white fish after this, lol) but when a fish makes you that stinkin happy, I think you have to get it. We've decided to name that one Bowser, in keeping with the video game theme.

[video=youtube;-rYLNmtIF5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYLNmtIF5g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

302125_256221867758437_1020270386_n.jpg 8455c.JPG

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Just got an email back from Steve, the pearlscale is male. That means 4 fancy males and one wussy comet female, who will probably still kick their butt, even if she's scared of everything except me, food, and my moor. Hopefully they get along. :) IF I can add a 6th fish, should I shoot for a female if I can to help her out?

Also, he mentioned that "[The pearlscale] is also going to be prone to swim bladder problems and does not swim very well." I kind of figured that might be an issue with the pearlscale since it's so freaking huge, though I'm not sure if he means that it's had a history of swim-bladder or if it's just prone to it, since it's a blimpfish, lol. I am planning on switching to a gel food pretty soon with some upped veggie content (I'm thinking my API pellets, daphnia, peas, carrots, cucumber, algae sheets, and gelatin, let me know if you have any suggestions of anything else to add and what it helps with. :)), so hopefully that will help some. If y'all have any suggestions for how to help floaty fish be normal, happy fish, let me know.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I got another email from Steve, and he said the pearlscale has no HISTORY of being floaty, but does have a "head-down deportment", and with its size is more prone to it. Poor derpy little thing. I'm still going to get it though. I love that fish, lol. Any swim-bladder preventative tips are still appreciated. :)

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Bump

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Ok, can you BE any cuter as a baby?!?! Yep. I definitely see a resemblance between your chubby cheeks, and that little ranchu. Hehe. I don't have much experience with swim bladder stuff- From what I understand, feeding gel food can definitely *help*, but, that little guy may go topsy turvy sometimes when turning & etc. just because of his shape... as long as he can right himself, not too much of an issue. I'd add a good amount of peas to the gel food. The other stuff you have sounds good, too... I would probably switch out the cucumber for (thawed) frozen broccoli & spinach, though. Higher in anti oxidants and completes the amino chain needed for a complete protein source from the gelatin. Garlic would also be good to throw in. Just a peeled clove, pureed with the rest. So would getting a peas & carrots blend, for the beta carotene (color enhancing), and you could add some canned pumpkin for more of a color boost, and a bunch of vitamins and added fiber. You definitely wouldn't have to worry about that pearlscale trying to spawn with the comet- he would never catch her. The ranchu and shukin won't be really strong swimmers when large, either- Batman has a bit more of a torpedo shaped body, over an egg (or ping pong ball) shaped one so he might be able to have a better attmept- but she still should be able to outswim him easily. You could ask Steve which of his fish are females, and maybe switch one of your choices, if you're really concerned about it. Her being a comet, and them being fancy (with 3 of them unlikely to even keep up with her easily), the odds are definitely in her favor, though. My female moor was my only female fish even close to breeding age for awhile- 4 of my male fancies took an interest in her. Her belly is perfectly round, like a golf ball, and the males are all torpedo or egg shaped, and stronger swimmers. She was the weakest swimmer in the tank, second to Tater (for obvious reasons), and would get a bit worn out. There was 1 time that I did breeder net her to give her a little break, because it worried me. When they do start the spawning chase, it isn't constant for hours and hours, usually. From what I've seen, one initiates it, the others all join in, they all chase at once- it has lasted a max of 4 min each run, off and on for an hour, or so (with breaks in between) and then they quit & find something else to do. They can keep it up off and on like that for a few days, but it isn't like a constant thing. I'm fairly certain the comet would handle that situation better, being the strongest swimmer, and probably most active fish in the tank. :)

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
OH! The SafeStart certainly couldn't hurt... I'd still keep a close eye on the parameters, though, and be prepared to do water changes if necessary- with the python, it really won't be a big deal to keep up on it. I do 3-4 changes a week just on my 75 with mine. (1 change on my 2 10 gallons, and my 50 gallon each.) It really doesn't take much effort, and feels like it takes very little time, since I do other stuff while it is doing all of the work for me. The python changer with a large goldie tank= BEST INVENTION EVER!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store