Getting new fish for my birthday!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Haha! Poor thing...I doubt it would let me try and shove it into that, lol. I'm confused as to how it works though, lol.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Oh!!!! I didn't even see the fishing line til you said it, lol. I feel like my fish would just pull the bobber down it's so fat, lol.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Or 7. Hopefully it does just fine, and is just less-than-graceful! I'm worried about the small spaces in my tank though...do you think it's dumb enough to get itself stuck?

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Or 7. Hopefully it does just fine, and is just less-than-graceful! I'm worried about the small spaces in my tank though...do you think it's dumb enough to get itself stuck?
I wouldn't say so much with "dumb enough" as much as cartwheeling around and getting stuck on accident. You may need to go lightly decorated for that little guy. You'll have to wait to see how he swims when he gets there to make that call, though. With the gel food & lots of peas in his diet, hopefully he'll just be clumsy, though.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Well I'll see how he swims and take out stuff if I need to then. I'm worried mostly about the spaces in between decor and tank walls, and all the holes for the fish to swim through in the driftwood cave and grey rock thing, also the ledges in the driftwood. I'll post a picture in a minute.

Also, speaking of gel food, look what I found:

Nutritional Analysis of Gelatin (7 g serving)*

Calories - 23.4 (from protein)
Animal Protein - 6 g
Folate - 2.1 mcg
Choline - 2.7 mg
Calcium 3.9 mg
Iron - 0.1 mg
Magnesium - 1.5 mg
Phosphorus - 2.7 mg
Potasium - 1.1 mg
Sodium - 13.7 mg
Copper - 0.2 mg
Selenium - 2.8 mcg
Ash - 0.1 g

Nutritional Analysis of Agar-agar (7 g serving)*

Calories - 21.4
Carbohydrates - 5.65 g
Omega-3 Fatty Acids - 6.15 mg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids - 0.28 mg
Vegetable Protein - 0.5 g
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) - 0.35 mg
Vitamin K - 1.7 mcg
Riboflavin - 0.03 mg
Niacin - 0.03 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.03 mg
Folate - 40.5 mcg
Choline - 4.43 mg
Calcium - 43.8 mg
Iron - 1.5 mg
Magnesium - 54 mg
Phosphorus - 3.7 mg
Potasium - 78.8 mg
Sodium - 7.15 mg
Copper - 0.05 mg
Selenium - 0.53 mcg
Ash - 0.28 g

This info is from the USDA.

Looks like I may want to use agar agar then, since it has less copper for the snails, and is more nutritious?

This is a cool link I found helping to pick out ingredients too. :)
http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/Formulating_DIY_Homemade_Tropical_Fish_Food_Nutrition.html

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Full tank shot.
100_0495.JPG

Cave closeup...see the holes? Batman and Sammi love them!!!
100_0499.JPG

Driftwood has lots of ledges and a few holes.
100_0500.JPG

Rock formation with all sorts of holes. The previous owner had cichlids, can you tell? lol
100_0501.JPG

Left side of the tank from above so you can see the layout. Sorry about the crappy lighting, had to move my lights forward so you could see stuff.
100_0507.JPG

Right side of the tank from above. I can take out that grey log, I never really liked it anyways, the plants on it are tacky and it's a huge space hog. That's just a big empty tunnel begging for the pearlscale to get stuck in it anyways.
100_0508.JPG

I really like all the other decorations though...I just don't know if they're gonna be pretty hard for it to get stuck in though or if it will be too dangerous. The only plus side of that grey log is that it helps anchor the grey stones, so I'll have to find something smaller so that no one can knock it over, but make it something no one can get stuck in. I was planning on adding a few more taller plants in the back as well. (I'm getting a background soon too, so excited to not see all that crap and my boring, ugly orange peel builder white walls!!!!)

100_0495.JPG 100_0499.JPG 100_0500.JPG 100_0501.JPG 100_0507.JPG 100_0508.JPG

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Also, here is my tentative gel food ingredient list:
1 cup API pellets, presoaked in one cup of water
1/2 cup daphnia
1 cup Romaine lettuce
1 cup kale
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup broccoli
1 sheet of Seaweed (Sally's Seaweed Salad, 100% natural dried Porphyra yezoensis seaweed)
4 containers of peas&carrots baby food
1/2 green bell pepper
1 tsp basil
3 tbsp canned pumpkin
Insides of 1 spirulina capsule (spring valley brand?)
4 tbsp agar agar/4 packets unflavored gelatin

Any tips or suggestions for additions/subtractions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store