Stick on tiles for background?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
I had an idea and was wondering if anyone has tried it yet? I was thinking of buying some vinyl stick on tiles that look like rock for a floor and using them to stick on the back of the aquarium when dry before I set it up. I was thinking of cutting them at angles and jagged and then overlapping some to create a little depth. Anyone see a problem with doing it? My only concern may the be the adhesive.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I'm not sure about the toxicity of the adhesive (you'd probably have to call the company and ask what the adhesive is) but I doubt it could stay glued forever. That glue is not meant to be underwater. If you didn't like it you'd have a heck of a mess trying to peel it off the tank (lots of Goo Gone!)

I've seen this done in reptile tanks, honestly I don't think it works so well or looks so good.

I'd recommend maybe using slate tiles, breaking them up and piecing them back together maybe? You could use 100% silicone.

Depending on the size of your tank, a 3D background might not be too expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...+backgrounds&sprefix=universal+rocks,pets,317

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
I'm not sure about the toxicity of the adhesive (you'd probably have to call the company and ask what the adhesive is) but I doubt it could stay glued forever. That glue is not meant to be underwater. If you didn't like it you'd have a heck of a mess trying to peel it off the tank (lots of Goo Gone!)

I've seen this done in reptile tanks, honestly I don't think it works so well or looks so good.

I'd recommend maybe using slate tiles, breaking them up and piecing them back together maybe? You could use 100% silicone.

Depending on the size of your tank, a 3D background might not be too expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...+backgrounds&sprefix=universal+rocks,pets,317
I've done that with the slate years ago. It came out great but a LOT of work and it was hard to get them thin enough. I have to think about this. They also sell the vinyl tiles without adhesive and are cheaper.. so maybe they can be siliconed in.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Slate roofing tiles.

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Sometimes I think solid flat painted or vinyl black looks best and seems to show off the fish colors more! Hard to decide

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
You could always stick with the toxic adhesive ones. Just stick them to a backer board and place it outside the back of your tank. still get the look without the worries. But if you intent is to hide your equipment/ tubes then this is not a good idea.

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
You could always stick with the toxic adhesive ones. Just stick them to a backer board and place it outside the back of your tank. still get the look without the worries. But if you intent is to hide your equipment/ tubes then this is not a good idea.
True but it never looks 'right' with it behind the glass, you know what I mean

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Sounds like a very good especially if using vinyl stick-on tiles that you can trim to size using scissors. Every adhesive I have ever used so far in my tanks has never hurt my fish, aluminum tape, gorilla glue, silicone, super-glue. I think the key is that whatever adhesive needs to be completely cured before water immersion. I think Im going to try your idea.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
have you thought of expanding foam?? i like to use it without the cement, color obtained from acrylic paint..
If a small tank you can make it on a table top with appropriate holes for fillters heater ,etc.
I love it for backgrounds as it's soooo adaptable in every way
gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store