Change to RFUGF?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Hope you guys can help - my 25g's have an unusual configuration and so have a very small (maybe 11x6?) UGF with Penguin powerhead. I would for several reasons like to convert to RFUGF. One of the tanks has been set up for about 12 weeks now and the other for only about 6 weeks. I do water changes and vacuum about every two weeks. Can I successfully just reverse the flow or should I take the tank apart??

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Clean the substrate very, very well first. I would probably go over the entire thing enough so no more waste comes up--replacing water as needed to completely get all the substrate. And, be prepared for a bit of a cloud.

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Thanks OG! rofl about a 'bit of a cloud'. I have a coarse crushed coral/pebble substrate - took FOREVER to rinse it and I still had enough suspended particles that I finally put a polyster pad in the Fluval! I expect to have to put it back after this...Just glad I don't have to tear it up!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Since the tanks haven't been setup for a really long period, it shouldn't be too bad. I saw someone who hadn't cleaned the tank in 6 months and decided to swap--even with some vaccuming before hand, it was nasty. Running some additional mechanical filtration for a few days will definitely help.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I'm not sure if you are aware, but penguin does make a very nice( inexpensive and easy to use) sponge kit for reverse flow. I have used them and love them. even have one on the intake of my AC 500 as well. As Og said you will need to vaccuum excessively, With no longer than the tanks have been set up it won't be brutal, but there will be a lot of dirt stirred up. and even when the worst is pretty wel done it may take several days for everything to settle down. You will like the rfug set-up, and your deep vaccuming days will be almost non-existant from now on.

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Yes daveedka, I am quite glad I have the penguins for that reason:) An the deep vacuum days gone is one of the many reasons I'd like to do this. Even tho' I've read it's not such a good idea for cichlid tanks, due to the structure of my tanks, I'm going to try it since vacuuming around rocks in these tanks is just not going to happen! Plus I think my brichardi have moved the sand to their satisfaction and we can all live with it. My foolish cichlids are for another forum, 'nother thread;)
Thanks guys!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
tawnylane - if you want to get really ambitious, try the over-engineered variant of RFUG:

http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/rtrrfug.shtml

That is pretty much all I use these days, but I admit I've never retrofitted it to an existing tank. It has always been full reset. The technique was developed to avoid dead spots in mbuna tanks with masses of rockwork and to allow breeding substrate digging cichlids in general over UG and still have the filter functional.

The Penguin kits are my sole operating system for RFUG - so easy!

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Hello RTR - was hoping to hear from the ultimate authority on RFUGF!:D I HAVE read that very excellent article (broken link in another thread, but I persevered!!!) I really must find the dig. cam and get some pics of my tanks up....I wouldn't have to keep explaining the bizarre-ness of these tanks:p
Am looking forward to changing - I have a semi-planted tank that hopefully will be much happier.
Thanks for all your replies!

T

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store