Congo/Potato Puffer (T. miurus) tank mates and other questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Hello all!

Yesterday, after several months of searching for one, I was lucky enough to get a Congo Puffer. That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA was able to get one in for me. TPP is an awesome store and I would recommend it to anyone without a second thought!

The puffer is somewhere between 2" and 3", give or take, and is staying in a 20 Long. The tank is currently bare with a 2" layer of sand. I prefer to use bare-bottom or a thin layer of pea gravel, just for ease of cleaning on a busy schedule, but Congo puffers likes to bury themselves in the sand, stingray-style.

I would like to have some tank mates in there, but it's not a necessary thing and I would wait a while until the puffer is settled in and the tank is definitely stable. Some fish that I would like to have:

~Pair of small cichlid (probably kribs, Congochromis spp. if I could get my hands on them, some kind of Jewel cichlid, etc.)
~Freshwater moray eel
~African butterfly fish

Another thing, could plants work with one of these guys? I know that they bury in the sand, but would they uproot plants?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and thanks!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would get a 30g if you wanted tankmates...but maybe some rams or something? eh?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A congo puffer can grow to over 5" long, a 30gal IMO is too small. A 55gal would be better.

It is not the most friendly of fish. I do not know if it will live with other fish in the same tank.

bettalover

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
I would be weary when putting other fish in there with them and I would also upgrade to a bigger tank if you do...

You can do some anubias or fern tied onto driftwood or rocks but I would stay away from rooted plants like you said, it will eventually get uprooted.

I would also add more sand, the more the better he can hide himself once he gets bigger.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
A congo puffer can grow to over 5" long, a 30gal IMO is too small. A 55gal would be better.
Are you saying this for 1 fish? They do sometimes get to 6", but they're not very active at all. I do understand that I need to upgrade if I wish to get tankmates.
You can do some anubias or fern tied onto driftwood or rocks but I would stay away from rooted plants like you said, it will eventually get uprooted.

I would also add more sand, the more the better he can hide himself once he gets bigger.
Yeah, I do plan on some Anubias. I'm also thinkign about planting some larger plants (swords) with their bases surrounded by hardscape, so that the puffer can't rearrange.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have seen the Congo puffer, but only at about 3+ inches. Yes, they are not VERY active, but it does swim around. At 3" it woild be OK in a 20gal, but not for long.

It is not just about active, fish do need some room to swin WHEN it wants. At 3" in a 24" tank (20gal) it would be OK, but once it starts going pass then you will need a bigger tank. I do not know how fast a puffer grows though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store