Driftwood and Cichlid mix...Bac Combo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nate_lockhart

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
Basically, my question is the subject of this post. Is it bad to mix these? I used the cichlid mix as my substrate hoping to get a stable, alkaline pH. Only problem is, this stuff is off the hook! My pH was over 8 today when I tested it (It was maxed on the strip, which I think equates to a pH of 8.4). I wanted to try to keep it between 7.4-7.8, and I need something to slow it down. I was thinking of adding some driftwood. but would they just duke it out and totally dissolve one another, or could it reach some sort of quasi-equilibrium at a lower pH? If not, how do I get my substrate to chill out at a lower pH?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
The effectiveness of driftwood (and peat, etc.) of lowering pH varies from person to person. If your KH is low enough, driftwood should be ok for lowering pH. However, if your KH is high, driftwood will do absolutely nothing for your pH... it'll only turn your tank water brown. I'm not sure what the borderline KH level is, but I'd take a guess and say somewhere around the line of 4 or 5 is max. My tap water has a KH that varies from 8-10 (basically, I have to hit it with a hammer in order to drink it ;) ), and driftwood does nothing in my tanks.
If you really want to lower your pH, and things like driftwood or peat doesn't work, you can always try CO2 injection. Though CO2 injection is usually reserved for a plant tank, it'll work just fine for a fish only tank in terms of lowering pH.

A higher pH is nothing to be alarmed about... my fish all thrive in the tanks that the live in (with a pH usually around 8). I've even had tetras attempt to breed in my tanks. The most important thing about pH is that it remains stable. Don't ever resort to using chemicals (ie. pH down) to try to lower your pH. That generally leads to a bouncing pH, and that is more detrimental than a slightly higher than "optimal" pH.

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store