Sick Clown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpgraft

AC Members
Nov 12, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
I just got a Sebae clown and put him in my quarantine tank. He was in there for three days and I noticed small specs that looked like ick in my freshwater fish. That was day three in the a.m. . That eve when I got home from work, he looked fine with the exception of his fins closed. The next morning (this a.m.), he showed signs of the same specs. When I got home from work, the specs were gone, but he now looks to have a very small amount of body slime. What worries me the most, (besides the fact that I have no clue how to help him and I know that he is suffering) is that on one side of his body, the white stripes are showing some sign of red??????? Blood?????

I have had freshwater fish for 15 years, and salt for only 1. My LFS told me that he is just stressed and will be alright, but I think that this is VERY wrong.

HELP!!!!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I don't know what he has it doesn't sound like marine ich to me. The white spots went away too fast. Normally with blood spots I'd say it's probably do to some physical trauma and not a disease however, with the other symptoms you're describing it probably is something. Is it eating swimming around rubbing on hard objects in your tank? Other than the blood spots and white dots does it show any other symptoms? Most of the time fish can fight off sickness if other stress factors have been corected. I would also apply some for of general treatment to your tank water,"like tee tree oil etc, there are a couple of brands for fish use". I know that copper based treatments are sort of the holly grail in f.w. fish keeping but, I would use it with caution with clowns and only as a last resort. Clown's IMO will perish from the cure more often than the disease. Also if it's some form of internal parasite to go along with marine ich etc copper treatment wouldn't work anyway. Most of the time with salties time and good care will heal all wounds. Hope someone else has some better ideas.
chris

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Tiny spots like that sound like "ich" (cryptocaryon) to me. The spots can come and go, as the parasite's life cycle progresses, but maybe this is a little too fast. The sliminess can be a reaction to the irritation, and the fish will often breathe hard because their gills are infested.

There is a thread somewhere around here, where gbolton is describing his success treating with a product called RxP. Sounds like it's doing the trick.

Here's an article that describes the disease in more detail.http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/mini1.htm

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store