Pearlmutt cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Came across a cichlid called a pearlmutt cichlid. Anyone have any information on them? Also does anyone have information on a ruby green hap from lake victoria?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Can't help you with the Victorian hap, but the other fish is Labidochromis pearlmutt. Most good fish listing will have info for under the Labidochromis section.

I have several of them and I like them a lot. They breed pretty easily, they're not as aggressive as many of the mbuna (many of the Labidochromis species aren't terribly aggressive), and some are quite beautiful. They do best on a typical mbuna diet: high fiber, low fat, low protein... a food like Hikari Cichlid Excel is great. They also eat fresh veggies like zuchinni, lettuce, etc.

They do best in harems (one male, several females) of 4 or more; if water conditions are good, they breed readily. They will interbreed with other Labidochromis species, so it's best not to keep them with yellow labs, etc.

A great fish, a perfect (IMO) starter cichlid for someone getting into africans.

HTH,
Jim

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Thanks for the answer and the proper name. I found them on the internet and they looked so interesting I e-mailed the seller for info and didn't get anything useful.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I agree that they look great, but I'm afraid they won't go well in my tank. As I side note I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze in a 3rd tank now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store