Tetra Flakes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not want to start any controversy, but I constantly hear that Tetra Brand flake food is not good. Why is that?? I have fed my fish Tetra Brand foods for almost 50years . My fish all look healthy, and have grown to VERY big sizes. When I was a little girl my dad and brothers would raise and breed fishes feeding almost nothing but Tetra Flakes (with the very occasional feeding of worms or Brine Shrimp).

My fishes now get about 20% of their food from tetra flakes. The other 80% is almost all frozen and the occasional feeding of live worms (yes, very spoiled fishes).

My concern or question is---Is Tetra Brand flakes “THAT” bad?? Or did they get bad over the years.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good question! Tetra brand has been around forever. I used it over 30yrs ago myself and have a recently purchased jar of it now.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I have used Tetra Brand foods too. For my turtles, goldfishes, and now for my fish. That is the only one you truly hear about in the hobby. Unless you specifically talk to breeders.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Tetra has lots of filler, fish meal, wheat, rice etc that's not especially great but I feed it among other foods. I like Omega Super Color Flakes somewhat better, some Ken's foods, etc. My fish that eat flakes don't really care. I feed a variety, frozen, gel, flake, pellets & fish seem healthy.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Haven't heard that storyline, it's pretty much run of the mill. I would use a better quality for breeding stock. I don't use Wardley at all.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
The brand that is the worst IMO is Wardley's. Tetra is o.k., but not superior. I like Omega one. But, I prefer to feed a variety--flakes, pellets, frozen etc. That way, if any one food is lacking in something, the other foods will provide it.

Emily

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Fish seem to enjoy eating it, IME.

FINJOY

AC Members
Dec 2, 2008
BEEN FEEDING TETRA FLAKES FOR EVER OVER 50 YEARS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT, I DO SUPPLEMENT WITH FROZEN BLOOD WORMS AND BABY BRIME SHRIMP PLUS OTHER PELLETS FROM KENS FISH, BUT THE MAIN FEEDING IS WITH TETRA I PURCHASE IT IN THE 4 POUND PLUS BUCKET

BenefulBrad

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
It's ok... It's like feeding your dog purina rather than wellness, if any one knows anything about dog food. Ha. It's more of brand name thing. I'd like to think that feeding my fish a higher protein enriched diet, like omega one, will lessen the amount of fish waste coming into the tank because the fish's body can use more of what is in the food, thus less waste, and a healthier tank. I think tetra is good at advertising and appeal to the consumer price wise. That's why it's been in Meijer/ Walmart forever and why they stay in business. I would just rather feed the most useful food I can. Fish need less of it and saves me money in the long run even though I'm paying a little more for the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Tetra was the first popular commercial flake food, but that doesn't mean it's the best. I think if you tried giving your fish something like Omega One they would find it more enticing. It smells a lot "fishier" and the ingredients are obviously less of a filler nature.

Compare the basic freshwater formulas...

Omega One Freshwater Flakes:
Ingredients: Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring, Seafood mix (Including Krill, Rockfish, Shrimp, Squid, Clams and Octopus), Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astraxanthin, L-ascorbyl-2-pophosphate (Vitamin C) Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamins A, D, E, K3, B1, B2, B6, B12, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Ethoxyquin and Naturox (Natural mixed to tocopherols and Rosemary Extract) as Antioxidants.

Tetramin Ingredients:
Fish meal, torula dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, dried potato products, feeding oat meal, dehulled soybean meal,soybean oil, fish oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, gelatin, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (vitamin C). Natural and artificial colors. Ethoxyquin as a preservative.

That being said, if you like to feed often, probably best to go with something less rich. I only feed once a day, but it's denser higher quality food than the standard Tetra or Wardley.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store