Calvus Feedng ?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Hi all,

Some questions about my juvenile calvus: about 3.5cm, had him for about 6 weeks. Since this fish hides so much, I moved him to a smaller 'temporary' tank to monitor how much he eats. Offered: cichlid veggie flakes, tropical granules, cichlid granules, frozen spirulina brine shrimp. Just not interested in much. Any other suggestions?Oh, I also moved the juvenile yellow lab he has always hung out with - no picky eater there!

Any help appreciated.

T

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I don't have a Calvus but I have 2 of their close relatives Altolamprologus compressiceps. They will eat anything and everything I feed them. They eat frozen Bloodworms, frozen and live brine, small pieces of fresh shrimp, flakes, freeze dried plankton (only if it sinks), frozen Formula One and Formula Two (is actually more for saltwater fish but the cich's love it). Anyway, hope you can get him eating soon and try some more meaty foods that are frozen (bloodworms are a great one). Then try getting him to adjust to flakes, etc. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I have two calvus and they sure aren't picky either. As MonoSebaelover said, try meaty foods. Calvus are carnivorous so they will only benefit.

Also, try live brine shrimp. I would remove the lab as it is going to make it more difficult to feed your calvus. Some feeder guppies used as dithers may also make him feel more comfortable.

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Thank you MonoSebaelover and PumaWard for your replies. I will try some other frozen foods, (live brine might be a problem,as it's an office situation). He does eat, just doesn't seem to be that interested. Also doesn't know that food is there until the lab goes for it! Tanks are kinda in flux just now, so I'll see how it goes and move him when/if I can or have to.
thanks again for the ideas.
T

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store