what cichlids will get along with a common 6-7 inch pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
I am thinking about getting cichlids to go into my 55 gallon with my pleco, but i am unsure if they would get along. Do Malawis get along with plecos? I love my pleco and don't want to put him in any danger, but i would like cool, pretty fish as well. I am tired of tetras!
thanks

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Matching other fish to a Pleco? This is a first. For most people the Pleco is an afterthought. Almost any cichlid will get along with Plecos. Any cichlid that will fit in your tank should be fine. Keep in mind the water parameters required for these cichlids. Most Plecos prefer neutral-to-acidic PH water, whereas African cichlids prefer alkaline, hard water. Check your tap water and choose accordingly.

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
My pleco is my baby! I know it is weird but i have had him for about 4-5 years. I have a community tank right now, but i would like to give my fish away and get a different type of fish. I want my new fish to be compatible with my pleco as far as water type, pH, salt, temp, temperment, etc.

Will the pleco be miserable with cichlid water?

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
From what I understand, plecos can put up with a lot. They are a pretty well armored fish. Their spines can sometimes help fend off attacks. Now, I've seen my plecos with some damaged fin, but they end up healing just fine and the cichlids we have leave them alone.

Hope that helps.

Lila

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
JB parrots, convicts, Nicargensus, demasoni, long-finned oscar, hap. venustus, green terror, Yellow lab., german peacock. Those are the cichlids that I have rooming with plecos.

I also have a large Jaguar cichlid that I will not put a pleco in with.

Not all in one tank mind you. I own eight.

Lila

ninerfan

AC Members
Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
I had the same pleco for years in my tank, and the only thing that I noticed about him was that when he was in the tank when I had nicer fish like severums and things of the sort it grew a lot faster and was more active. But when he was with my oscar, he was more ellusive and did not grow nearly as fast, I think this was due to stress from the occasional attack. But even when he got attacked, he did not really get hurt, those fish are very tough when it comes to getting nipped. If anything with some cichlids I would be scared for them, my pl*co would attack fish sometimes, even though he really could not hurt them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store