ok I feel dumb but what ph do guppies like

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I lost a guppy just started a tank it cycled and the ph is round 7.6 which is rare for tap water here in app mountains of NC. The water is a bit warm but good for live bearers and the tank is 5 gal. three are still doing well but this was boom dead no symptoms was thinking maybe its the shock of transport or stress as guppies are no longer as tough a little fish as they used to be.

I just hate losing fish and do all I can to make sure I take care of them and this is the first loss since my start back into the hobby.
:sad

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
That pH is fine for guppies. The main thing is how different is it from the fish store's pH. I try to do a very slow 2 hour acclimation for new fish by slowly reaplcing the water in the bag with bits of water fromt he tank. This way the fish can easily get used to a pH and temp change.

That being saod many guppies these days seem to come from weak strains and don't survive all that well.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
thanks for the input, but I so hate to lose fish, and 2 more have died :sad :sad

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Johnny,
One way to acclimate them to your water is to do a SW trick. If you place some new ones in the water, you want to slowly add the water to your bag, like a cup or 2. This will help get your fish used to your tank water over a period of time instead of being tossed directly into it. I do it for all my fish, Fresh and Salt. For salt, it allows them to get used to the salinity in your tank. For my fresh, I use it for PH.

jim

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
The shop said that the salesperson should not have sould me 2 pair for that tank so soon with them being the first fish. I ended up with nitrate in the tank not much the second level on the chart but enough that it said toxic and water change I did 2 30 ounce water changes which is about a third of the water. I had but tlc product per there recomendation as a cycle aid and let the tank sit for a month with nothing in it just a filter and gravel after washing it and setting it up

I feel so dumb for having done that to those poor little guys. I should have known better.
I have a poor little lonely guy in there now. I hope he stays as well doing as he looks.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Just a shot in the dark, but I'd say your tank wasn't cycled when the fish went in. The majority of cycle aids just don't work. Ammonia and nitrite are actually much more deadly to your fish than nitrates. A nitrate level of 20ppm should not be harmful to your fish btw, but at that level you should probably do a water change anyway. Not sure what sort of nitrate test they did, but on my chart the second level is 5ppm. I would say your single guppy is safe in the tank, but you should do water changes daily for the first 4 weeks or so. After about 6 weeks with the one guppy have the water tested again. If possible do it at 2 LFS that will test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates for you. If you show zero ammonia and nitrites then you can add another fish. Wait about 4 weeks more and test again. If still zero add two more guppys to get you back to the 4 fish. As previously asked do you have male or female guppys? I'm thinking a group of females in that small a tank would be ok. A group of males may get irritated with each other. Whatever you do if you do have mixed sexes go with 1 male and 3 females. The other way around and the males would chase the female to death.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
it was 2 males and 2 females they weren't chasing eachother and there are some hiding places in the tank this is just going to be a show tank I am going to have a 10 gallon tank set up as a grow out tank for any fry and other guppies I was thinking about another 20 gallon tank maybe with them in it

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Second tank = Instant cycle

You have another FW tank that is stable?

Take some of the filter "squeezings" from that tank and add to the filter of the new tank. Your old tank won't miss it, the new tank will instantly have the bacteria it needs.

You can do that daily until your tests say all is well in the new tank.

If the old tank has a cartridge, take some of the old tank water, swish the cartrdge in it to get muck off it, then pour that into the new filter housing, or just into the tank near the filter inlet. That way you are not risking contaminating the old tank with possible disease from the new tank, if the fish caught anything while so stressed.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I hate to see any animal die especially if its my fault.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store