otto questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
I have a 10 gallon with a male betta in it. Its been done cycling for a week now. Everything so far is fine and stable. The next additions I'm hoping will be a couple of ottos which I'v heard are somewhat delicate. I don't plan on getting them for several more weeks but when I do, I was just wondering if anyone can give me suggestions as to what I can do to help ensure their survival.
I plan on watching the LFS when they get their next bunch in and not purchasing any till the weaker ones die off. And how long should I take to acclimate them to my tank? Are there any diseases they are particularly susceptible to? How do they do with live plants? How little should I feed them to encourage them to eat algae as much as possible? Any tips you can give me about keeping them would be great. Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Oto's are not really sensitive, it's the shipping starvation that usually does them in. Look for fish that have rounded tummies--not bloated, but a little bulge. Acclimate them to the tank the same as you would any fish--I like the drip system, but adding a cup of tank water every 15 minutes until you've doubled the volume, dumping out half, repeat twice, works as well.

In terms of feeding them--you won't have to encourage them to eat algae by starving them. I feed my otos every other day with algae tabs, and they work much harder on cleaning than they do on the algae tabs.

baileya74

AC Members
Jan 29, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Otos are very sensitive. I had mine for about a week. they never paid attention to the algae tablets. they would stay on the glass. For some strange reason they both died at the same time????. Nothing was wrong with my water. Since then I have decided to stay away from them.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I think what OG meant is that otos are not *inherently* sensitive, but rather they are weakened by the shipping process and lack of food while they are in transport. Once they get acclimated to your tank, they will be fairly hardy - its when you get them that they can be difficult.

A lot also depends on the "batch" that you get. I know some people who have gotten only 1 out of 12 to stay alive. I, on the other hand, got 9 expecting some "die off" and fortunately that never happened.

Just acclimate them as any other fish. Feed them algae wafers and lettuce and zucchini:) They'll still eat the algae because it's more fun:p.

EDIT: Oh, and to help ensure that you get some of the "stronger" ones, try going to the LFS right before they get their new shipment of fish in (or around the time that they'd run out of otos if they run out before they order again). At any rate, try holding out as long as possible - this allows for the "weak" ones to die while they are at the LFS:( Then, hopefully, the stronger ones will still be alive when you get there.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I have otos in 2 of my 4 tanks.
in my recent oto(s) purchase I thought I had the all in the tank, and went to dump the water out into the toilet, only to see an oto swimming in the bowl!!!!!!
I quickly added amqel and got him out as soon as possible, and he is still going, tough little bugger

Bustedthumb

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
cliff-pics.com
I personally have had great success with otto's. They are very good at cleaning algea. They don't harm live plants. Due to their small size they get in all the little cracks and crevices and do a wonderful job. As others have stated, they can be a little sensitive in the beginning. But once acclimated, I've never had any trouble. I personally find pleco's to be more challenging to keep alive. Mine will occasionally eat the algea tabs, but usually find enough food that he's not interested in them. As OG said, a slightly rounded belly is a good sign. Mine goes from "slightly rounded" to looking like he "swallowed a marble". The first couple of weeks that I had him I was concerned because he was lean and thin when I bought him. It didn't take long for him to plump up. But he has stayed nice and fat ever since and shows absolutely no signs of distress or discomfort. he's constantly cleaning one thing or another in the tank.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I've never had problems with otos dying on me, but it could be that I was just lucky. I think if you pick healthy ones, acclimate them slowly, and make sure they have plenty to eat they should do well. From what I understand they do much better in planted tanks, but it's not a necessity. I had some years ago in a tank with just fake plants and they did well. I have one right now in my 29 planted (plan to get more as well), and he seems very healthy and content.

I've heard that fish harvesters actually release some sort of chemical (sedative?) into the water to make the otos easier to catch, and this is part of the reason they often die prematurely. Not sure how true it is though.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
They don't really school, but they do hang out together. It is fun to watch them leap-frogging over one another as they move around in a group.

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
OK...thanks for the tips. I knew that once they were in a tank and settled that they were pretty hardy, its just the acclimating thats tough on them. I read that this was because during shipping they lose a lot of the bacteria in their stomachs and intestines that digest their food, so by the time they get to the fish store, they may have lost so much that they cant recover and so they sort of starve to death even though they get fed. No idea of the truth of that, just read it. Sounds kinda like what you were saying though Oriongirl.

I also read one guy took 6 hrs to acclimate his ottos, so I was just curious if this was common practice.

And I ALSO read that young ones were great at eating algae but as they got older and lazier they come to rely on wafers.
(I read a lot, in case you couldnt tell :) )

So anyway, sounds like you guys have mostly had good luck with them, which is encouraging.

Celura, thanks for the links. Bout to go check them out.
Oriongirl and thumb, thanks for the tip on full bellies, that will be very useful when it comes time to pick them out
Aqualung (Tull fan?) my tank is planted so that ought to please them.
anonapersona, I've read they are called "little monkies" in Japan because of such antics.
bortsamson, if you can dump one in the john and he is still chooglin, then they must be tough little fishies. Bet that surprised the hello out of ya!

Thanks guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store