AHH!! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
I just spilled about 1/2 a dixy cup of milk in my dang 55 gallon tank! (dont' ask. way to long a story. but of course I was an IDIOT!)

I've done a 1/2 tank change.. Can I leave the rest go, and let it break down. or do I need to do a complete water change right now..

The only reason this isn't a choice rightj away is that I don't have everything right this second to put the fist into! And im out of water declorinator (ugh!) And I won't be able to get any until tommorow morning..

Please help! :)

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
If you are out of deconditioner then there really isn't anything else you can do. Wait until morning, get more, and then do another 50% change. Watch the fish to see how they look. If they don't look well then do another change.

I don't know how bad milk is for the tank so watch your fish and keep the tank extra clean for the next few weeks. Could be worse though, you could have dropped a cup of coke into the tank.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Well, milk does have a fairly low ph, but if your tank has pretty decent kH one half a dixie cup of milk probably won't shake up your ph level any. Milk is pasteurized so it shouldn't have harmful bacteria in it. Essentially speaking I can't think of any damage such a small amount of milk would do in a 55g tank.

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Whew.. ok. I thought I had killed off the tank. heh. I did another 25% water change. and it's just a slightly milky haze in the tank now (think a small Bacteria Spike) And my fish are hungry as ever and swimming around normally. So I hope it will be ok..

Thansk for the help, never ever spilled anything in a tank before.. heh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store