Small African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I'm looking for some species of small African Cichlids. Preferably 5" or less. If you have any ideas, or would like to post a picture of your favorite small fish, please let me know! Thanks!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
1st off define African cichlid.
Most people immediately jump to the conclusion that you are referring to the rift lake cichlids of Victoria, Malawi or Tanganyaki. Do you want these type or are looking for softer water species such as P. pulcher, A. Thomasi , E Lucansi.
There is a very big difference in water parameters and compatability of other fish between these different types of "Africans".

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
1st off define African cichlid.
Most people immediately jump to the conclusion that you are referring to the rift lake cichlids of Victoria, Malawi or Tanganyaki. Do you want these type or are looking for softer water species such as P. pulcher, A. Thomasi , E Lucansi.
There is a very big difference in water parameters and compatability of other fish between these different types of "Africans".
Unless you're getting wild caught fish this doesn't really matter. The vast majority of fish at the supplier & breeder (sa/ca & African cichlids) are all kept, bred and raised in the same water. A lot of keepers have sa/ca and African cichlids in the same tank and have success. As long as they aren't wild caught these fish have been acclimated to a neutral ph and neutral hardness.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
As you stated the "vast" majority, also is this an informed statement or a general belief. I know that my LFS uses peat moss in most of their their "soft water" display tanks and uses calcium supplements( ex: cuttlebone for birds) in their "hard water" tanks. They don't have a centralized filtration system at this store but instead utilize sponge filters with a central air pump. So also al;though your statement may be correct for certain wholesalers/fish stores it is by no means an absolute practice. Also, I asked since regardless of water parameters, their is the big issue of compatibility. I wouldn't wish to see the outcome of placing the species of "africans" which I mentioned above if they were placed with most of the the rift lake species since everything but maybe P. pulcher are very much across the board from rift lake cichlids as far as aggression and complacency is involved.
My post was initially meant only to attempt to have the OP define what they referred to as far as "africans" are concerned so please keep this in line with what the OP asked and not turn it into a debate of "soft"/"hard" water fish. I asked for a defintion of they were referring to as far as small "african" cichlids.....

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
As you stated the "vast" majority, also is this an informed statement or a general belief. I know that my LFS uses peat moss in most of their their "soft water" display tanks and uses calcium supplements( ex: cuttlebone for birds) in their "hard water" tanks. They don't have a centralized filtration system at this store but instead utilize sponge filters with a central air pump. So also al;though your statement may be correct for certain wholesalers/fish stores it is by no means an absolute practice. Also, I asked since regardless of water parameters, their is the big issue of compatibility. I wouldn't wish to see the outcome of placing the species of "africans" which I mentioned above if they were placed with most of the the rift lake species since everything but maybe P. pulcher are very much across the board from rift lake cichlids as far as aggression and complacency is involved.
My post was initially meant only to attempt to have the OP define what they referred to as far as "africans" are concerned so please keep this in line with what the OP asked and not turn it into a debate of "soft"/"hard" water fish. I asked for a defintion of they were referring to as far as small "african" cichlids.....
I wasn't trying to derail but since you called me out... Yes this is an informed statement. There are quite a few threads on MFK about mixing cichlids. Sounds like you have a very nice lfs where you live. None in my area follow that practice. As I said earlier it's a majority that raise/breed/hold both types in the same water not all. All I was commenting on was water perams not temperament or feeding requirements. That's a whole other ballgame that needs to be weighed species by species. Here's one thread where several members discuss their mixed setups. http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6591875 I was just trying to help the op by not limiting his search to certain species because of water parameter "requirements."

OP: if you could expand on what you're looking for the rest of us could help more.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Thanks guys! Well, I'm currently looking for cichlids that would fit into a soft water tank with a pH of 6.5, and then a few on the opposite end with pH of 8.2-8.3. Currently the cichlids inhabiting the 75 gallon with the pH of 6.5 are a pair of Kribs. and some angels. I'm thinking probably some cichlids from lake tangyanka for the 20 gallon with 8.2 pH. Ideas for both tanks would be highly appreciated though :) Sorry its taken me a while to get back to this thread, schools been pretty busy. If you need some more info., don't hesitate to ask! Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'd stay away from most any Rift Lake species for the 75g. I understand water chemistry isn't quite a huge issue anymore for a lot of captive bred fish, but temperament and diet are other factors that don't exactly match up.

How many angels are there and has there been any breeding behavior from them or the kribensis? I don't know much about the western African species that could potentially work, but I'd still be cautious about adding too many personalities to the tank. I also wouldn't necessarily limit myself to Africans either, plenty of smaller SA/CA species that could work...rams, apistos, etc. But depends on numbers and whether there's enough territory for more cichlids to begin with.

Is there anything in the 20 yet? Is it long or high dimensions? Shelldwellers would be a great fit...and I'd advocate for a colony of N. multifasciatus myself. Easy Tang species that breeds readily. There are some smaller "rock dwelling" species (e.g. Julidochromis spp.) that might work, but depends on the dimensions and the route you want to take.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store