Small African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
go mixed new world, lots of different fish that can go together, try to take advantage of levels, corys for the bottom tetras for the middle and maybe some center piece like cichlids, and hatchets for the top. or mix and get danios for the top

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Sorry about not coming back to this thread for so long! I appreciate your advice with the red jewels, and will stay well away from them. The gourami in the small tank is now happily sharing it with 3 little lamp. brevis. All is well. I would like to add maybe one more species of small fish to this tank. I would like something from lake tang. or something blue (or red), preferably still under 5". Ideas? High pH of 8.2 btw. :)

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Have you considered shelldwellers? Those are small, and many have lots of blue coloring.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Hey there, ppetro..got some young OB Peacocks(blue marble ) for you! Nice choice on the lamps!

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I would add to your brevis group if you want more cichlids. A little unconventional, but you add platies or swordtails if you want something blue or red.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Haha! Okay. I had thought those might be an option verbal.
Oh, Captain Jim. :) I really wish I could take you up on the offer, but this is just a 20 gallon tank, and those fish get up to 6 inches!! Got anything smaller? ;)

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I know..just joking..all I have are neons in the small blue department..don't think blue rams would be welcome. What of low priced blue guppies"?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How about the blue tetras?? Boehlkea fredcochui

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store