A few of each kind of rainbowfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adams86

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
Hi, I have a 55g tank with the following:

1 Honey sunset dwarf Gourami
1 Sunset dwarf Gourami
1 Powder Blue dwarf Gourami
1 Red Flame dwarf Gourami
1 Gold gourami
2 Marigold Swordtails (m,f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Neon blue dwarf rainbowfish
2 Madagascar rainbowfish
6 Lemon Tetra

My question is that I have two of each of the rainbowfish and I really want to get a Bosemani rainbow and a New Guinea rainbow, but I know that you should get 6 of these because they are schooling fish right? What will happen if I do this, I don't see any problems with the 2 of each rainbowfish I have now, can I get just one of each of the Bosemani and New Guinea rainbows or will there be a problem? I am new to this and don't want to make any major blunders, things have been going good for the last few months... any opinions on this would be welcome - is this a stupid idea?

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Rainbows do prefer to be in groups but if you don't have room (and you don't) to get 2 big groups of large fish then try to get a pair of each. If you see any fry in the tank do not sell them/give them to anyone because rainbows will crossbreed and hybrid fish should be avoided UNLESS you are absolutly sure of which fish spawned them AND the person who gets them knows they are hybrids and not to try breeding them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store