Canister filter leaking like no tommorow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Cleaned out my marineland c360 and fired her up again to start having it pump water all over floor. Emptied about an inch or two from my 125, IT WAS POURING OUT. First thing I did was rip the back outlet out, and then went to hit safety valve thing on filter. No idea what to do right now towels everywhere, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have another filter on the tank, but not sure that it's enough for an extended period of time. Will update as I go, any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. Carpet is soaked.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Well if i were you i would clean up the spilt water the best i could to avoid any water damages to the house. Paying for new floors and carpet will cost more than restocking a tank. As far as the tank goes, you said the extra filter probably cant handle the tank for an extended period of time so after you check for any potential hazards with the spilt water get that canister filter fixed and fire the sucker up!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe too late now, but always nice to have a small "Shop Vac" around. Good for vaccuming up water.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maybe the O-ring is not seated right or torn that seals the cover? I know there's always a risk when you have a big fragile vessel of water in your living spaces, but this is what scares me with canister filters. They have the potential to empty your tank right down until the siphon breaks at the suction strainer. FWIW, I've got a Sunsun 302 on my 55g. :eek:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Cleaned out my marineland c360 and fired her up again to start having it pump water all over floor. Emptied about an inch or two from my 125, IT WAS POURING OUT. First thing I did was rip the back outlet out, and then went to hit safety valve thing on filter. No idea what to do right now towels everywhere, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have another filter on the tank, but not sure that it's enough for an extended period of time. Will update as I go, any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. Carpet is soaked.
What "safety valve"? Where was the water coming from? Are you sure the valve block was seated properly when you started it back up? That the lifting AND locking clamps were secure?

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Had a similar incident last week, totally my fault. Always be careful to seat the motor housing properly; the only other place for a leak would be the hoses, either around the disconnect or a hose itself. Start the process over and be 100% sure everything is seated/ sealed before you plug it in. In my case, I was rushing trying to clean my canister before work. A clamp prevented the motor housing from sealing. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
This is my fear of canisters. One thing goes wrong with your intake/outtake and your tank could be in a real world of hurt.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
What "safety valve"? Where was the water coming from? Are you sure the valve block was seated properly when you started it back up? That the lifting AND locking clamps were secure?
meant the key on the valve block, leaning towards the locking clamps not being secure right now as I broke down and set it back up with no issues so far.

Shop vac'd the carpet, which wasn't too too bad. Not sure where the leak came from, but got the filter up and running and it's working now, no leaks as of a couple hours in. Still super paranoid but I think the top wasn't on correctly. Probobly my fault and a fluke thing, but still freaked out about it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
This is my fear of canisters. One thing goes wrong with your intake/outtake and your tank could be in a real world of hurt.
World of hurt for your home too.

Mine has never leaked *knock on wood*, but one could increase their safety margin by keeping their canister in a 5gal bucket or the likes. If you kept the cord in the bucket and had the unit plugged into a GFCI, once water built-up in the bucket, power would trip to the unit. 'Course that wouldn't necessarily stop the water from gushing over the top of the bucket. LOL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store