Clam shell too strong... Any way to reduce the harshness?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alyssabubbles

AC Members
Dec 16, 2013
So I recently ( and successfully ) got 4 cory cats and a snail to live with my betta in a 10 gallon. However, I got a clam shell ornament with an airline connector, but when the pump is plugged in, the bubbles are so harsh! Any way I can make the bubbles less harsh? Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You can get a longer air hose, the pressure will slow it down. Adding a "check valve" or two in the line will slow the air down too.

Or the more obvious==a smaller air pump.

alyssabubbles

AC Members
Dec 16, 2013
You can get a longer air hose, the pressure will slow it down. Adding a "check valve" or two in the line will slow the air down too.

Or the more obvious==a smaller air pump.
The air hose is about 4-5 ft long. Already have a check valve installed and I have the smallest air pump from Top Fin. Thanks for the suggestions, though!m

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Just tie a knot in the hose. You can use zip ties if you're worried about it working itself loose

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I can send you a airline splitter for free if you want to give it a try, just PM me your address.

alyssabubbles

AC Members
Dec 16, 2013
I can send you a airline splitter for free if you want to give it a try, just PM me your address.
Thanks for the offer, but my parents won't allow me to give out my address on forums and such ( still 15 ). I think I'll go with a gang valve unless others have any more suggestions.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
It's ok, I totally understand.
You can find airline splitters for only a few bucks on eBay, but they only sell in bulks.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
its better to split it to allow some of the air to go through a different direction instead of making a knot since the air pump uses a rubber drum.
adding more pressure to the rubber drum can wear it down prematurely.

i used a pressure val and closed it about 50% of the way and within a week the airpump stopped working.
i opened it up and saw the rubber drum was ripped. (but then again, i had a cheap airpump at the time)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store