ID picture please, German Blue Ram or Bolivian Ram?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discusman54

AC Members
May 5, 2007
Tidewater,Virginia
I have a question for you Ram keepers, the fish on the right side of this picture was sold to my girl-friend as a female German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi ). I say it is a female Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus). Rams are hard to find locally so when my girl-friend was going to Va. Beach I asked her to stop by one of the larger fish stores to pick up a couple of German Blue females. Unfortunately I was working and could not make the trip but trusted them as I have had good luck with them in saltwater corals. The other fish they sold her is not pictured but looks almost identical to this one. I called them up and questioned the ID of the fish but they told me it IS Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.
I'm not sure I want them in the tank with my German Blues if they are what I think they are, I have on bonded pair and a single male.
IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
1 looks to be Blue ram(possibly female) the other maybe a Gold variant.. both are Ramirezi

BTW it's kind of difficult to sex Altispinosa until they are actually spawning or show the ovipositor

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
2 Female German Blues.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree, that is M. ramirezi.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
1 looks to be Blue ram(possibly female) the other maybe a Gold variant.. both are Ramirezi

BTW it's kind of difficult to sex Altispinosa until they are actually spawning or show the ovipositor
I agree. Its easier to tell the difference between the two color varieties when theyre in their breeding mode

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It's two female Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. The one on the left is a German Blue, the one on the right is a Gold Ram. Both are line bred strains of M. ramirezi. Wild types have more of a greenish body and are not as yellow.

Bolivian rams look quite different and have more of a tan colored background color.

Andy

discusman54

AC Members
May 5, 2007
Tidewater,Virginia
Thank-you all For your input!! I'm new with rams, I've been keeping fish for about 50 years but never tried Rams. What a great little fish!
Bob

Dr. Aqua

AC Members
Jan 28, 2007
Near Montreal, Quebec
I know I am a little late to reply...for those who are also late to read:

It definitely is a mikrogeophagus ramirezi, their eyes are circled red while Bolivian rams have black circles around the eyes. I have them both in my tank.
Easy to sex Rams: the second or third ray in the dorsal fin is longer on males (among other indicators). Females have blue dots in their black patch on their side.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store