What is better for cleaning algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
I'm starting to get algae in my tank(mostly brown) and am trying to find something to help get rid of it. I tried a scraper but the one I got is curved apparently and I don't like that it makes the algae float all around the tank. So now I'm wondering whether I should get a moss ball or something of the sort, or a snail or otocinclus. anyone have any opinions? It's a 13 gallon(wide and tall) with 5 neons, a betta and an amano shrimp.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I have known "brown" algae to refer to diatoms and also a type of brush algae. I'll assume diatoms here, since it seems to come off easily, something brush algae does not do.

Diatoms are frequently present in new tanks, at some point during the first 2-3 months, after which it should disappear. Most fish said to eat algae will handle it but there is not a lot of space here so I wouldn't recommend fish. Common snails will eat it, though this may not eradicate it short-term. I am not aware of any scraper that somehow "holds" algae it removes, so I would do this before the water change when you can siphon it off the bottom. If you have live plants, try to clean it off the leaves.

Byron.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
The betta limits a few things but a nerite snail or two would be a good addition. They will control most of the algae off of the plants and gravel. But you still need to scrape off the glass.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
What I read everywhere, about algae invasions - check for excess feeding and excess light. Yes, strapping some kind of canister filter onto your scraper will help "vacuum" the algae when it comes off. I have bought baby pleco's in the past to rid my tank of algae and then traded them with friends for other needed stock when the algae was gone. Still, you have to change the situation so that, once you remove this algae, it does not come back.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said, manual removal with an old credit card just before your water change. To keep it from coming back, find your lighting, fert and carbon source balance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store