10 gallon filter advice needed.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Hi all. I have a Sun Sun canister filter rated at 265 GPH. Right now, it's keeping the water parameters perfect and crystal clear in a 29 gallon tank that's temporarily over loaded with turtles. The tank is bare bottom, but the flow certainly doesn't seem overwhelming in the 29. Can anyone advise on the possible use of this filter in a 10 gallon lightly planted Bolivian Ram specimen tank with a sand substrate? Any similar set up experience?

Thank you much!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
It would probably work, but to be safe I'd find a spare intake cap and see if you can put it on the output. If you can't then the flow is more than it looks and you should avoid putting it onto the 10gal. If you can, keep it on the output to help prevent it from blowing sand around and baring roots over time, or use a rock to do so.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO it maybe too much for a 10gal. Your flow maybe low because of the length of the hoses. If you cut/shorten the hoses I am sure the flow rate would increase.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My Sunsun 302 has a very underwhelming flow rate to it as well. It wouldn't stir up a 10g by any means. I only ran the spray bar on it for a week or two and have just run the elbow ever since. Obviously you'd have to shorten the intake a bit and maybe put a smaller suction strainer on it to take up less space.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Sounds like it might be worth a try then. Anyone know what would be the best way to restrict the flow a little if I need to? I have a pvc ball valve I can rig, but I don't know if it would be better for the filter to do it on the intake or output.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I wouldn't restrict the flow with a ball valve. You can put a "tee" on the end of the outflow tube, provided you can find one to fit. Put the middle leg of the tee on the outflow and let it divert the stream two directions. That will mitigate the current somewhat.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Other options would be to make a spraybar with lots of holes in different directions, or to have the outflow connect to an UGF and have the water return up through the substrate.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I can't comment on this make of filter since I do not know it, but I would be concerned over the filtration/current in a planted 10g and especially with this species Mikrogeophagus altispinosus.

M. altispinosus (Bolivian Ram) occurs in very slow-moving waters, namely the quiet streams in the Rio Guapore and Rio Mamore basins, and obviously in flooded forest during the 6-month wet season. It does not appreciate water currents, and in a 10g it may have no respite from those produced by this filter. I would not go above a sponge filter.

I am assuming by "specimen tank" you only intend one ram. I personally would not have this fish in anything under 20g, or at least a 24-inch 15g. Males attain 3.5 inches, females less. I have had this species for many years; my current solitary male is approaching six years (which is pretty good for a fish with an average 4-year lifespan) and he seems happy in the quiet recesses of my 5-foot tank. While it may work fine, I cannot envisage my male in my 10g.

Byron.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Thanks. Lots of great ideas. I will go slow, and "try before I fly". If I can't get it to work, Sun Sun does make an interesting little modular canister that is rated for a 10 gallons.:cool:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
as Byron pointed out a 10 g is to small for a bolivian ram.

I keep several and they do like larger footprints a 15 is min but a 20 long if better(same footprint as a 29 btw)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store