Stocking a 55 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
So as some of you know I had a bizarre nitrite spike and it killed a few of my favorite fish. With this being the case my 55 is now essentially empty with the exception of 6 Sword Tails and 7 Cories (this is a separate issue being resolved now). Tank is old and established.

I have a Rainbow Cichlid at about 4 inches that will be going back into the tank in time. Any suggestions as to what you would stock?

Addionally, I'll be upgrading to a 120 or larger come fall, so juvenille fish that get larger aren't a huge problem long term, but of course I don't want to over stock in the meantime.

I'd like to get a Threadfin Acara, Jurupuri and possibly a Firemouth, but have also been looking at Daemons, Blue Acara, maybe a Gold Severum... I don't know its sort of a blank slate at the moment. I'm researching different fish, I'm not entirely familiar with the last two, but I believe they'd mix ok.

Also, my tank has now read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite for 2 days now. How long should I wait before slowly restocking the tank? A week? Less? More?

Thanks!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
With 6 swords and 7 cories and perfect stats I'd keep it at that stock for another 3 days, then slowly add the fish into the tank (if possible with cichlids lol). Since I'm a community keeper I don't actually know what fish can go with a cichlid.

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Nitrite reappeared in the tank again last night after work. Went a day without doing a water change and it was back at .50

Left it as is and used Prime to detoxify. Want to check it after work today again and see if it continued to rise or if it somehow balances out on its own. This is so frustrating. Anyhow, obviously adding any new fish is completely on hold for now but I'm just trying to gather some thoughts and research what I may want to do once the tank's water parameters are healthy again

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I've suggested this before, but I'll to it again: Don't use Prime to detoxify. Let the tank detoxify itself so that you can actually know what your cycle is over and that you aren't simply putting a band-aid on it to prevent a crash.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Firemouths are slow growers so just keep an eye out if you get one. A school of denisons barbs( or torpedo barbs... Same fish different common name) would look nice with rainbow cichlids

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
I've suggested this before, but I'll to it again: Don't use Prime to detoxify. Let the tank detoxify itself so that you can actually know what your cycle is over and that you aren't simply putting a band-aid on it to prevent a crash.

Yes I know, however Prime only converts the ammonia/nitrite to non-toxic form which the bacteria still feed on, and it will still show up on the water tests which will indicate how far along the cycle is.

Anyhow, it seems to be under control now. I think I've figured out why this happened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store