Stocking Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I currently have a 50 gallon with a comet and a shubunkin goldfish, 4-5 (I don't know if ones hiding or missing) rosy red minnows and a black mystery snail.
I know I will probably get yelled at for having even 1 comet in a 50 gallon but I didn't know any better when I got him and he went from a soda bottle (aquaponics project for school) to a "goldfish bowl" to the 50 gallon, its the next best thing since I don't have a pond. Anyways they have all been living together happily for almost a year now.
My question is would it be possible to get a rubber lip pleco or a bristle nose pleco for the tank? or is it to risky?

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
what is the filtration capacity? I think that goldies and rubber lips have different temp requirments. Plus, if your goldies are anything like mines were then they are always feeding from the substrate which mat become a territory issue for the pleco.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Plecos are tropical fish so I would not do it. They typically come from water in Central or South American that would be anywhere between the low 70s to mid 80s, while goldfish are cold water fish. Also, both goldfish and plecos are messy, waste producing fish, so you'd be looking at quite a terrible bio load from them.

One other thing, I have heard of people attempting to keep the two together, which really is an awful idea (never mix tropicals with goldfish) and the plecos eventually attack and suck onto the goldfish to get after their slime coat. Usually plecos are completely misunderstood and perceived as algae eaters, which they actually do a horrible job at eating. They're mostly vegetarian fish that NEED to be fed green veggies like cucumber or at least spirulina algae wafers to feed them properly.

Short answer, no I would not suggest combining them.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Ok thanks for the advice. I had heard around that a few types of plecos could live with goldfish.
As for filtration I have a aquaclear 70.
I also don't have any subrate other then a few scattered "river" rock.

Is there anything else that I could keep with my goldies that doesn't get to big and eats aglea?
Would a hill stream loach work?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sabina, as said, goldies are cold water fish and require lots of room, water volume and maintenance for them to thrive. Those serious in the goldfish hobby wouldn't even want you to have the comet in there.

My personal opinion on that is, a single comet, well cared for in a 55g is living a life of luxury compared to most of the poor buggers.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Maybe freshwater snails of some sort, but I'm not certain what types.

Plecos don't really eat much algae anyhow and usually end up dying of starvation because the owner thinks it just eats poop and algae which isn't the case, and most of your other options would also be tropical fish so I think you're pretty limited here.

Typically in a goldfish tank, its just goldfish. I don't keep them, so I don't know if there is some kind of cold water minnow or live bearer that grazes on algae, though I think its doubtful.

Also, Hillstream Loaches would be out and they're a Loach they're not an Algae Eater anyhow and they're tropical so they need warm water.

If you want to do tropicals, you could rehome him. Do a google search for aquarium clubs in your area and I can almost guarantee you that you'll find one for goldfish keepers, and someone who would love to be a part of the goldfish's rescue story. Its great that you saved him, but you could prob find him someone who is specifically a goldie keeper and could give Mr. Comet a huge tank/pond and would be thrilled to have it.

Then you could open up your tank and do some really interesting things.

Also, in your case your best algae defense would be regular tank maintenance/water changes.

Let us know how you make out!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for all the help every one :)
I guess I will just have to stick with my goldies.
Maybe I will get another snail, that should help eat the algea a bit better.

Lmouthbass- thanks for the tip :) but im very attached to my goldies and I would never give them up. If I could I would love to give them a pond but im still in HS and we don't have one so that's not possible :(, but im happy to say there growing, they went from 1-2 inches (or how ever long they are when there sold) to aprox 4-5 last time I measured. Also unftortnetly I doubt we have any fish clubs in my area. I live in a small town surrounded by small towns, Though I could be wrong and theres one I don't know about. Anyways thanks so much for all the tips and help

Last edited:

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thank you very much :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Thank you very much :)
I dont know if this tank has substrate or not but if it does maybe some freshwater clams could help. Sand is best for these. They filter feed on most micro organisms and free floating algae. In theory this should help with water clarity and algae.

Another option would be getting a UV sterilizer. Always better to try to prevent something rather than control it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store