Stocking a 20 Gallon Long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BBaker1657425

AC Members
Dec 9, 2013
I'm planing on getting a 20 gallon long and I was wonder what my options were. My ph is around 7.5 I was thinking about some apistos or jeweled cichlids but I wanted someone else's opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Personally I'm a fan of community tanks, and from what little I know about cichlids they aren't usually community fish. In a 20 long I'd say you could do a pair of GBRs with some smaller tetra and/or a few cories and a gouramis of some sort (a small one mind you).

Are you planning for a planted tank?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, Jewele Cichlids would be too big for a 20gal. I would go with a school of Tetras (10-15 depending on which one) and then have a pair of Apistos, or as "FishFriend said- a Gouramis (a Dwarf, Honey, Croaking, or Thick-Lip would be good).

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could also look into shellies

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree with what has been suggested. The only cichlid options for a 20g long are either shellies if you have basically moderately hard or harder water, or dwarf South American species if soft to moderately hard. The pH at 7.5 is pertinent, but the hardness is the real issue. You can (or should be able to) find out the GH (general hardness) from your municipal water supply people (check their website) unless you are on a private well.

If you go with community setup, and depending upon the GH (some of these are more specific), many of the "nano" species which are becoming popular are more than suitable. Being so small, you can have more fish/species in a 20g long which adds interest to the space. But there are also a number of other more standard species that would work for you too.

Byron.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I'm planing on getting a 20 gallon long and I was wonder what my options were. My ph is around 7.5 I was thinking about some apistos or jeweled cichlids but I wanted someone else's opinion.

It really all depends on what you want. A community will have to be chosen carefully as others have said but if you want a breeding tank for smallish cichlids, then a pair with adult size of 6" or less would be interesting. Keep in mind, many recommend getting 6 juveniles and allowing them to pair. C/A would work with your pH but not many candidates come to mind. Convicts are the easiest but the babies may be hard to get rid of.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
It really all depends on what you want. A community will have to be chosen carefully as others have said but if you want a breeding tank for smallish cichlids, then a pair with adult size of 6" or less would be interesting. Keep in mind, many recommend getting 6 juveniles and allowing them to pair. C/A would work with your pH but not many candidates come to mind. Convicts are the easiest but the babies may be hard to get rid of.

Look at cryptoheros nanoluteous. They stay small and breeding pair with some schooling fish would be fine in a 20 long. Or maybe gulf coast pygmy sunfish.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you're not dead set on cichlids, look into peacock gudgeons or Australian gobies. Both will do well in a 20 long community and both species will breed easily...interesting and beautiful as well.

Mark

BBaker1657425

AC Members
Dec 9, 2013
Yes the tank will be planted and have a sandy bottom. I'm not dead set on cichlids but I am interested in any other options. Any ideas on where you would get the Pygmy sunfish?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
A few places online sell them. Maybe a LFS will have some in stock or could order you some. They do best in a planted species tank. For a 20 long, you could a good amount. Say 8-10.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store