Snail ID Side-By-Side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
A while back, I found a new type of snail in my tank. The one on the left I originally identified as a common pond snail based on Internet photos, but a month or so ago I found the snail on the right in one of my tanks. He is slightly larger, faster growing, and faster in speed of movement than the snail on the left. The snail on the right is also darker (almost black bodied with a dark brown shell) and has sharper more angular features. I have no reason to believe either is harmful as both are aquatic snails that eat algae and waste breaking it down for my plants. Based on photos and descriptions, can anyone give me a more specific ID than pond snails?

SnailID.jpg

SnailID.jpg

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Jessica, that looks like a cross between the two. Hmmm

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe, I am not too good with snails. I have lots of Ramshorn, :)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
It is possible that the two snails are the same species.

But there is also the issue of two near-identical (at least to me) snails, the pond and the bladder. I believe I have the latter. But I also have varying colours, though these may be different species.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Hard to tell from that right photo, but my guess would be a bladder snail. Easy to tell apart by looking at the opening in the shell:
pond snail (Lymnaea)
168412.jpg

bladder snail (Physidae)
441046.jpg

168412.jpg 441046.jpg

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
QWE to the rescue! You are exactly right... Pond (left); Bladder (right) using the shells as reference. I plucked one of each out to examine. Thank you, sir!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Bladder snails are easier to squish :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store