Tetra school with Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hey guys thinking of picking up a school of around 20 tetras tomorrow for the 225, Looking at something Angel friendly I was thinking Emporer, Lemon or possibly diamond tetras.

Anyone forsee any problems there, or recommend another species? I am looking for something colorful and to add movement to my tank. There will be other species of tetras and shoalers going in over time, but I want to get the first school now to add some movement:)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Angelfish being sedate, will not appreciate boisterous tankmates. So don't go overboard with the activity.:hypnotized:

I have the mentioned species currently, and myself would not include the Diamonds because of their active swimming. The Congo Tetra (unless you want to be geographically correct with South American fish only) would be a better choice for a fish with similar colouration. Emperor and Lemon are fine. Other species that add some colour and work well are certain of the ones in the "Rosy" clade of Hyphessobrycon, such as the Rosy Tetra, Roberti Tetra, Black and Red Phantom Tetra. The Bleeding Heart is also in this clade and should work, but some others have mentioned to me that they sometimes fin nip angels, so I mention that as a caution; my BH's don't show any such inclination, but then they are not in with angelfish. Another nice fish is the Pretty or Garnet Tetra, Hemigrammus pulcher; for some reason this fish is not widely available, only now and then, which is a great pity as it is a true gem; closely related to the Head and Tail Light, but more disk-shaped and deeper colouration.

One should always avoid the linear characins (neons, glowlights, rummys, etc) as mature angelfish will readily consider these food. The species above are more disk-shaped which seems to work fine.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have had, and still do, have large schools of tetras with my Angels. The angels are very large, but do not even try to eat the Cardinals nor Neons (but they may have eatten all my baby BN).

I have had Angels with Diamonds, Emporers, Black Tetras, Bleeding Hearts, Lemons, Rosy, and the previously mentioned Neons and Cardinals, without any issues.

An old picture, but you see what I mean.

Attachments

Miguel

fan of the apistos
Feb 27, 2004
Montgomery MN
Visit site
The trick with linear type Tetras is to introduce them with young Angels. If they are bigger than the Angel's mouth they don't see them as a potential food source. Then when the Angels mature they are more likely to ignore new smaller Tetras. I have successfully done this with previous tanks. I have added new young Cardinal Tetras with adult Angels and had no predation. Of course, I would still caution people about it since Angels are Cichlids and come in a variety of demeanors. I happend to have less aggressive Angels, but a highly aggressive Angel will still attempt to eat them.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I've successfully kept cardinal tetras with angels;also green fire tetras. Have you considered rasbora hets?

Mark

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Can't beat a school of Rummies. I keep mine with Angels now, (adult) no problems, and the rummies are a little too big for the Angels mouth. Cardinals and Neons are a little smaller and more slender so they can eat those. The Rummies are also the most brilliant schoolers I've ever seen.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I picked up 14 Diamond Tetra, honestly my angels are anything but sedate, they follow me around the room and seem pretty active.
The diamonds school really tightly from time to time and its really cool to watch. I have some beautiful males in the group but they arent fully grown yet. I also think they threw in a lone lemon barb too that thinks its a diamond.
Either way I went into the LFS saw a nice tank of diamonds and said "I`ll take everything in the tank"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store