what fish is this??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ady1234uk

Registered Member
May 31, 2014
i bought a fish tank of a friend and got a few fish with it but im trying to find out what fish this is so i can get a few more
IMG_20140531_091040.jpgIMG_20140531_091354.jpgIMG_20140531_165113.jpg

IMG_20140531_091040.jpg IMG_20140531_091354.jpg IMG_20140531_165113.jpg

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I'm stuck between it being a species of Rainbowfish or a species of Tetra, due to body shape and fin placement. I'm going to say either a Celebs Rainbowfish or a Gold Tetra.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I need a more "Clearer" picture of the tail, but looks like a female Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus).

100% sure it is not a rainbow.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I googled female congo tetra, that definitely looks like one of them.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The tetra folks have it, but Jessica wins for being first with the species and gender :cheers:. The adipose fin (which is just distinguishable in the photos if you peer closely) pretty much suggests characin (it is unlike a catfish, or a salmon, the other fish that have or may have this fin, which no cyprinid has nor any Atherinid although these often have two dorsal fins).

And yes, you need more, ady1234uk. No idea of your aquarium size, but this is not a small fish, reaching 4.5 inches in nature but in aquaria usually maxes out around 3.5 inches. A group of no less than five or six, preferably more if you have a large enough tank (4 feet in length is minimum though in a pinch a group of five could manage in a 3-foot but no smaller, and with few other species). Male and female are easy to ID but in the very small fish often in stores this can be a bit tricky. Look for a more reflective blue sheen on males, and the beginnings of the extend filament in the caudal (tail) fin. And the dorsal is much longer in mature males than females, and sometimes the beginnings of this can be discerned in juveniles. Photo below shows female on right, male on left. Second photo is a group of males. This is one of the most beautiful of freshwater tropical fishes.

Male/female ratio is not as important with this species as it can be with some, but a roughly even mix, say 3 males to 2-3 females works well. I have a group of ten 5/5 and spawning was very regular but outside of this the males interestingly remain together in their challenges and displays, which are beautiful. They love to have relay races down the tank, which is why they need the length. This fish tends to shoal together more than many other shoaling fish, meaning that they remain in their group, mid-tank level.

Byron.

Phenacogrammus interruptus1.jpg Phenacogrammus interruptus2.jpg

ady1234uk

Registered Member
May 31, 2014
Thanks for the advice I have a 3.5 foot juwel tank how many do you recommend I should get

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
With Tetras, the more the better but your tank is on the small size for Congo tetras unless you want to make them your signature species, and even then it's on the small side.
I once kept 5 in a 40 gallon; the 3 males were spectacular, but these fish seemed a little big for the tank and I eventually gave them away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store