Is my 29g Community Tank Overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kylekylekyle

AC Members
May 31, 2014
Im Just starting out with my first planted tank and im addicted! its a 29 gal and i'm wanting to know if it's is badly over stocked or just slightly, Either way im pretty sure im pushing it. Also i was wanting to add a bamboo shrimp to complete the tank and wanted any opinions on the idea, Thanks Alot!

I have a 30gph and a 50 gph filter on it with an underwater whisper pump attached to a hose to increase the flow near the bottom. The bottom is white sand over a layer or activ-flora substrate with 13 plants growing and 7 pieces of driftwood in it. heres the list of fish ive had for a couple weeks now,

1 Dwarf Gaurami
1 Male German Blue Ram
1 Spotted african leaf fish(perch)
1 yoyo loach
3 Hatchet fish
2 oto
1 Glass catfish
3 corries
2 fancy guppys
2 borneo suckers
2 swamp darters
4 neon tetras
9 Ghost shrimp

I change about 20% of the water weekly and feed them frozen brine shrimp along with flake food and an algea pellet every now and then and there is always very little waste that accumulates on the bottom, almost none at all.
Thanks Alot!
Water
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 20
PH 7.0
Carbonate Hardness 80
General hardness 120

-Kyle

WP_20140528_17_48_07_Pro[1].jpg WP_20140528_23_32_16_Pro[1].jpg

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I also have a planted 29g and I think mine is overstocked. Here's my stock list:
6 Cherry Barbs
5 Asian Glass Catfish
3 False Julii Corydoras
1 SA Bumblebee Catfish
1 Albino Bristlenose
I know you're gonna say you don't have any problems but you will. I plan on reducing my stock level a little; a few of these fish weren't part of my original plan.
I'm sure the folks here will pick you apart but they mean well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
No kidding you'e over stocked. Many of those fish can not be housed safely together. The Leaf Fish will get large, if it makes it that long, and eat everything it can swollow. In the process it will strike some things it can't swollow and that is likely the end of the victim. You also lack appropriate size schools for the schooling fish and most will eventually die from stress. The stock counts you have look more like a semi-crowded 55gal than a 29gal. My advice, read up on everything you do have, come up with a plan and post it up here.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I completely agree; please make some decisions as these fish cannot remain together. Also, some of them are shoaling fish and must be in larger groups of their own (hatchetfish, neon tetra, glass catfish, corys, yoyo loaches). That is a very lovely aquascape, nice work indeed; but you really do need to remove some species and increase those remaining depending upon which, or it won't be giving you much pleasure.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Kyle:
That is a beatiful tank. I just love the bi-color gravel. But as Byron said, YES, 1) over-stocked 2) wrong fishes 3) schools too few in numbers.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I don't like fish that get longer than 3 inches max in a tank that size because they just seem out of scale and unhappy in the cramped surroundings, not to mention the dangers some can pose to smaller fish.
I'd lose the carniverous Leaf fish for sure, along with the two soon to be 4 inch borneo suckers and the lonely Kuli Loach.
I agree you have a nice looking aqua-scape there btw.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
yeah if your leaf fish lives then almost all of your fish will be gone. Also, the glass catfish should be in with others of its kind. Also kinda worried about that hatchet fish, bravo for having more than one, but they might get spooked in your tank as it is very active. Your numbers seem good for now but as the fish grow I'm sure you'll run into problems.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I told you. All are correct; you need to come up with a plan of what to keep and what not to keep. A little research goes a long way. Basically, big fish eat small fish and leaf fish will eat anything that fits in their mouths. Schooling fish need to be with others of their kind. How many makes a school? I think we can agree that 4 at the very least makes a school. I would be interested to see how this plays out; you have a lot to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kylekylekyle

AC Members
May 31, 2014
Hey Everyone, Thanks a lot for the prompt and very precise responses! Ive gotten rid of the leaf fish and the borneo suckers since my first post and ive gained one more hatchet bringing their school number to four, and these guys are like the pirahna of my tank zooming around and getting most of the flake food before it can touch the bottom haha. Im planning to add either three more glass cats since the single one is doing so well or two more yoyo loaches. Do yall think this would be a happier fish environment for the most part?
Also i did add the Bamboo shrimp which turned out to be a vampire shrimp and hes happily found himself a place right under the filter flow and is fanning away.
Feel free to criticize if im still way too overstocked....
Thanks alot for your time guys!
Kyle

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
With the removals mentioned, the remaining fish would be thus (including the additions intended):
1 Dwarf Gaurami
1 Male German Blue Ram
1 yoyo loach--considering adding 2 to total 3 (?)
4 Hatchet fish
2 oto
1 Glass catfish--considering adding 3 to total 4 (?)
3 corries
2 fancy guppys
2 swamp darters
4 neon tetras
9 Ghost shrimp

There are still issues here. If "swamp darters" refers to the species Etheostoma fusiforme these are not tropical fish and I would remove them. Both the corys and neon tetra groups must be increased; the neons to at least six but more would be better, and the corys to at least five.

I would get rid of the yoyo loach and not add more; this fish attains six inches, and should be in groups no less than five, and that means at least a 4-foot tank. Otherwise, the fish will be stressed, which could well cause aggression, and they are known for this so the other fish in the tank will be the losers.

The Glass Catfish is very delicate, and needs a group of 5-6 or preferably more, and cannot tolerate any boisterous or active tankmates. And it needs a well planted tank as it is very shy. The one alone not doing well is not at all surprising. Either return this one, or provide more and ensure they have a quiet tank, which will mean other removals.

These are the most obvious issues to sort out first.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store