How do I keep floating plants from going all over the place?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Today I just received some dwarf lettuce. Also some water spangle aka Salvinia*'Salvinia minima' (it came free Yay!).

How do I keep it from being dragged all over by the current.

I already reduced the flow all the way down on my AquaClear 50. Didn't really want to do that.

Any suggestions welcome,
Patricia

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Any way you can put something floating up top to act as a current-blocker?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Get a short length of air hose and make a flaoting hoop. The hoop would keep an area clear of pants for the "water-fall" of the filter output.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Get a short length of air hose and make a flaoting hoop. The hoop would keep an area clear of pants for the "water-fall" of the filter output.
Yep
Much like the booms that are used for corralling spilled oil.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, floating plants and HOBs can be a difficult combination. IMO, your average planted tank does better with little surface agitation. You'll have to get creative like suggested above, or eventually replace the AC50 with a canister filter.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
As said above, canisters are a blessing for floating plants. I also suggest the use of some well placed airline tubing.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Never fear! I am here to save the day...well sort of.

I am having the same issues. I have a crater in my substrate right now because of my HOB filter.

I have devised an idea to rectify the problem. I was thinking about how to redirect the flow of water, without looking terrible. So after kicking around some ideas with an industrial engineer I work with. It hit me. Plexy glass. It would be practically invisible and be able to handle the force of the returning water. My idea ( which I have yet to try, seeing how I just came up with it today.) Is to drill small holes in the four corners of a say 4x4 piece for fishing line to be fed through. You could run in one hole out the other, then use the remaining line to either attach to the hob or use a suction cup (or two) and attach to the glass.

The idea is that the Plexy will divert the water. Shorting or lengthening the fishing line will control the direction the water should go. On a side note maybe drill holes in the square to diffuse/ reduce the power of the stream.

Let me know if you try this, and I will do the same.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Sweet the mobile app won't let me edit...

What I was going to add is at the right height, I think it would be just be low the water line, the floating plants won't be able to climb on top of the Plexy, but will be gently pushed away. In theory anyways.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Thank you all for the great tips. Fish bone, will let you know what I end up doing!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Hey I got a chance to do what I suggested for my tank, thought I would share.
uploadfromtaptalk1402265481915.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402265518384.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402265481915.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1402265518384.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store