fresh water clams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I was on aquabid and saw that someone is selling freshwater clams. I grew up in NY near the lake so I know about green clams that live in freshwater and also about zebra mussels which are undesirable as they spread rather fast.

I just was wondering if anyone has kept the green clams in an aquarium here and if so what they desire for conditions.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The FW clams that are available seldom thrive in an aquarium. They generally need cooler, cleaner waters than we can provide in a tropical setup, and require lots of small particles of food in the water--really tough to keep them fed without having water quality problems.

They are also not as cool as many expect--they don't do much, just bury themselves in the substrate (and prefer a mud or sand bottom, small gravel won't work for all species), sticking out their tongues to feed. You seldom see more than a bit of shell and a siphon.

Another consideration. Most all FW mussels are fish parasites as larvae. If yours do well, they may breed, and it's possible that the larvae will parasitize your fish. As with most parasites in a closed system, this will kill your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store