Can anyone identify this fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
A few months ago, I bought some water hyacinths from a local nursery for one of my fish ponds. Because the new plants had some long green moss stuck to their roots, I put them in a 5g bucket and gave them a thorough rinsing before putting them in the pond. I ended up with all manner of aquatic critters... Gammarus shrimp, snails, various worms, several leeches, and a baby fish I had first assumed was a goldfish.

I sorted out the gammarus because I wanted to put them in a nano tank, and I put the baby fish in the same tank. After a couple weeks, it became obvious it wasn't a goldfish. It's still very small, about a half inch, and tends to hide in the plants.

Can anyone identify it?

Thanks!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Either a flying fox or a siamese algae eater...I'm leaning toward SAE because the stripe goes clear through the eye, but it should go through the tail as well, which it doesn't look like it does. Hard to tell from that pic though.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It's Lucania goodei aka The Blue Finned Killifish. The eggs are commonly found in aquatic plants that come from Florida. The fins will be clear in juveniles and females. Males develop pretty blue fins as they mature.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Need a closer pic, but does not look like a killifish. Pic/fish too small.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I agree with narwhal on the Lucania goodie; my LFS gets these sometimes with plants and they look just like that. They turn into pretty little fish.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Tanker, I've been trying to get a better pic. The little guy is amazingly shy.

Thanks for the replies. Wanted to identify it so I can appropriately care for it. Now I'm really looking forward to watching it mature!

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
I'd lean more to the flying fox/ SAE than killifish as well

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Both the flying fox and SAE have a forked tail. The killie has a rounded tail with no fork whatsoever. Which type of tail does your fish have?

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store