True or False?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
Scenario: I am dealing with a continuous loss of my guppies. I even lost a mamma that has recently given birth to about 10 fry that are all doing well. People keep telling me my water quality is bad, and needs to be replaced. My scientific gut tells me thats not the case and there is something else going on.

Set-up: 10 gallon tank-temp set at low 80s-I have two plants and a moss ball along with my filer system-have a decoration that is supplying air bubbles

True or False?? I have been told that if I do have a water quality issue, I would see damage/death to my plants before my guppies because they are more sensitive?

True or False?? Having 3 plants in conjunction with a filter system is enough to not need weekly water changes. Until this tank, I have never had a loss of fish like this, and I have never done water changes. Something is different this time, and I need to figure out what it is!!!!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
False. Plants can live in water conditions that freshwater fish would not.

Plants actually would benefit from water changes almost as much as the fish, because the new water supplies nutrients that would be used up over time if you did no water changes. There is one style of keeping planted tanks that does get away with almost no water changes, but that involves lots of testing for the various nutrients plants use and carefully measured dosing of nutrients (Ca, Mg, N, P, K, and traces). But that is an advanced method and usually done with very little fish in the tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
your scientific gut should be telling you to test the water chemistry.

testing water with a test kit gives you information that will help you figure this problem out.

for instance... high ammonia(this is a relative term as high can be as little as .25 to kill fish) the plants will benefit in many cases with higher ammonia.. (depending on the plant species.) the fish will fair far worse in this case.

True or False?? I have been told that if I do have a water quality issue, I would see damage/death to my plants before my guppies because they are more sensitive? FALSE to begin with.. to know you have water quality issues , you need to test the water.. if you wait for plants and fish to become the indicators.. it will be too late for your live stock

True or False?? Having 3 plants in conjunction with a filter system is enough to not need weekly water changes. Until this tank, I have never had a loss of fish like this, and I have never done water changes. Something is different this time, and I need to figure out what it is!!!! Once again the answer is FALSE, in order to alter the water chemistry in your favor you would need what is considered a Highly planted tank, the plant species should be the what we consider as those that consume a lot of ammonia, nitrate etc.. many plants (java fern, anubias, cryptocoryne etc are not in this group of plants and are very common, as are mosses)
those plants that consume lots of nutrients in the water column usually require fairly high amounts of light. so if you have 3 plants. they would need to be plants like wisteria, elodea, etc and you would need quite a few of them(aka heavily planted.)

you stated: " Until this tank, I have never had a loss of fish like this, and I have never done water changes"

that is kind of like playing Russian roulette... not doing water changes in almost all cases will lead to serious issues in the aquarium. it's just a matter of time before this catches up with you.

My suggestion to you is to use your 'scientific gut' and test the water or have someone test it for you.. gather that information and go from there.
until you do that , you won't find much help, here as we would be resorting to guessing with little to no information to go on.

Last edited:

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
The answer to many many many problems is water changes. They really arnt that hard, and both fish and plants need replenishment of the ions and minerals in the water. So even if something else is going on water changes will help, the won't hurt and are needed for truly healthy aquariums. Remember just because they are alive doesn't mean they are healthy. Good luck hopefully you can vet this issue figured out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your temp is a bit high too, so there is less oxygen available, 76-77F is better for many fish. Do you live some place hot year around? Water changes are a big part of keeping fish healthy, although it's "possible" with LOTS of plants (not just 3) & a low fish load. With a 10g, WCs are easy!

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
Well I consider having the 3 plants I do have in this small tank to be "heavily" planted. The Moss ball will for sure take care of the high nitrates and ammonia. I know this because a friend of mine did a tank with only a moss ball and no filter and never lost fish! Right now I can do a water change due to having about 10 little guppie spawn swimming around that would get sucked up. (And they are doing fine!!!) This is such a weird issue...

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
You've asked about this in at least one other thread and got the same advice you're getting here, but it doesn't seem like you're willing to hear it. Doesn't seem like you know what you're doing and you're rejecting the advice you ask for. Not sure we can help you.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You can place a piece of netting or panty hose over the end of your syphon tube to keep the fry from getting sucked up.

So without testing, you KNOW that a single moss ball can use all the ammonia and nitrate produced in the tank?

Here's what I know...
You don't want to pay attention to advice given to you from knowledgeable aquarists. Keep doing things your way and your fish will continue to pay for your mistakes.

Maybe a pet rock would let you get by with no effort expended for its care. Fish won't. I suggest the pet rock.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store