True or False?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Scenario: I am dealing with a continuous loss of my guppies. I even lost a mamma that has recently given birth to about 10 fry that are all doing well. People keep telling me my water quality is bad, and needs to be replaced. My scientific gut tells me thats not the case and there is something else going on.

Set-up: 10 gallon tank-temp set at low 80s-I have two plants and a moss ball along with my filer system-have a decoration that is supplying air bubbles

True or False?? I have been told that if I do have a water quality issue, I would see damage/death to my plants before my guppies because they are more sensitive?

True or False?? Having 3 plants in conjunction with a filter system is enough to not need weekly water changes. Until this tank, I have never had a loss of fish like this, and I have never done water changes. Something is different this time, and I need to figure out what it is!!!!

In his first reply post, star rider answers your true/false questions and reinforces the necessity for your submission of more information than originally provided. In order for anyone to provide a useful answer to your questions, we need as much information as possible. star rider stresses the need for more information in the form of water test results.

your scientific gut should be telling you to test the water chemistry.

testing water with a test kit gives you information that will help you figure this problem out.

for instance... high ammonia(this is a relative term as high can be as little as .25 to kill fish) the plants will benefit in many cases with higher ammonia.. (depending on the plant species.) the fish will fair far worse in this case.

True or False?? I have been told that if I do have a water quality issue, I would see damage/death to my plants before my guppies because they are more sensitive? FALSE to begin with.. to know you have water quality issues , you need to test the water.. if you wait for plants and fish to become the indicators.. it will be too late for your live stock

True or False?? Having 3 plants in conjunction with a filter system is enough to not need weekly water changes. Until this tank, I have never had a loss of fish like this, and I have never done water changes. Something is different this time, and I need to figure out what it is!!!! Once again the answer is FALSE, in order to alter the water chemistry in your favor you would need what is considered a Highly planted tank, the plant species should be the what we consider as those that consume a lot of ammonia, nitrate etc.. many plants (java fern, anubias, cryptocoryne etc are not in this group of plants and are very common, as are mosses)
those plants that consume lots of nutrients in the water column usually require fairly high amounts of light. so if you have 3 plants. they would need to be plants like wisteria, elodea, etc and you would need quite a few of them(aka heavily planted.)

you stated: " Until this tank, I have never had a loss of fish like this, and I have never done water changes"

that is kind of like playing Russian roulette... not doing water changes in almost all cases will lead to serious issues in the aquarium. it's just a matter of time before this catches up with you.

My suggestion to you is to use your 'scientific gut' and test the water or have someone test it for you.. gather that information and go from there.
until you do that , you won't find much help, here as we would be resorting to guessing with little to no information to go on.
No where does he state that your fish died from lack of water change, only that lack of regular water changes can cause some serious issues.
Your tank is a 10 gallon. It is a small aquatic system in which to maintain stability for the inhabitants. Regular frequent partial water changes can help your tank remain stable.

The answer to many many many problems is water changes. They really arnt that hard, and both fish and plants need replenishment of the ions and minerals in the water. So even if something else is going on water changes will help, the won't hurt and are needed for truly healthy aquariums. Remember just because they are alive doesn't mean they are healthy. Good luck hopefully you can vet this issue figured out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
ffmurray makes a good point. Since we don't have enough information to try and help you adequately diagnose the problem, regular partials will help; even with no issues, regular partials will help.

Well I consider having the 3 plants I do have in this small tank to be "heavily" planted. The Moss ball will for sure take care of the high nitrates and ammonia. I know this because a friend of mine did a tank with only a moss ball and no filter and never lost fish! Right now I can do a water change due to having about 10 little guppie spawn swimming around that would get sucked up. (And they are doing fine!!!) This is such a weird issue...
This statement tells us you are making deductions from very little evidence. Since each aquarium is its own microcosm, it's inaccurate to compare one to another unless they are identical set-ups with identical water supply, fauna, feeding and maintenance regimen. The nitrates in your friend's tank may have been high. You never know without tests. The plants you have in the tank may fill enough volume to be considered heavily planted by you. A photo of a full tank shot would go a long way toward our being able to determine this.

Ok, Mark, you are a **** and are jumping to conclusions. I have had freshwater tanks for nearly 15 years NEVER with problem or loss of fish. Im not some 3rd grade newbie here. Yesterday I did a 30% water change and replaced the water at the same temperature and this morning my only adult guppie was dead. Baby fry are all doing really well still. Water changes, or lack there of, ARE NOT THE PROBLEM.
I don't deny the accusation. I should probably apologize for the "pet rock" suggestion, though maybe being called a ** in stead of a **** might have been more accurate. It's unlikely that your partial water change killed the guppy. It's probable that it was on the way out already. Hopefully, if your tapwater contains chlorine compounds, you used a water conditioner that removes chlorine prior to or during the tank refill...you never said.

Yes I am testing and retesting ideas. Not testing water doesn't mean there are lack of tests. I am not running with a single case, I haven't even made a conclusion with the exception that it is not a water change issue. Minerals for the plants are plentiful from the waste from the fish. You should look into the sciences of aquaponics/hydroponics same thing. There is nothing in my water that is going to benefit the plants more than what they already have or need.
If water testing isn't being performed, what kind of tests are?
Wastes from the fish eventually provide nitrate. Nitrates aren't minerals. Minerals are dosed regularly in many planted tanks along with macro nutrients. Tapwater contains minerals which are replenished with partial water changes.

Wow, there is so much wrong with this thread.

dunedain05, if you are testing the water then you should post the results. this may help.

also 3 plants in a 10 g tank usually does not constitute a 'heavily ' planted tank .(there are cases where the OP is referring to species and not actual counts..like a large bundle of anacharis, wisteria and carpet plants covering the bottom of the tank) Moss balls are not that great at removing much of anything. and 10 little guppies may or may not add much in terms of nutrients for any plants you have that could be removing said nutrients.

the problem may have been the stock you had gotten.. if new they may very well have had issues when you got them. the babies may not exhibit the same issues.

also many juvenile fish seem to do better at handling stress than the adults. often the case with juvenile angels and discus which tend to handle transport better than the adults.

again, we don't have much to go on to assist you.

maybe you can 'help us to help you' by giving us a little more info about your set up water parameters, maint schedule , pictures of the set up .

etc
Once again, star rider asks for more info.

Why have we still not seen water test results?
Info is not provided.
It would really help us help you if you could get us some more info. Simply disagreeing with suggestions isn't getting you or us anywhere.

Mark

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
Its not that I am not giving you data, I just don't have the data that you want, which is the water treatment readings. Like Ive said before I haven't, and won't, do water changes because it is not needed because I have as natural of a set up as you could possibly create. As for an update my fry are almost full adult size, have not lost any of them and have not lost any of my plants. No algae growth or any other negative change. All fry are healthy and doing great, and can't wait to see a new batch of guppy fry come from this group. Here is to my lack of water changes NOT being the issue, and to hopefully never needing to restock the aquarium with ****ty petsmart fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store