sick plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I have plants in my tank, can't remember what they are called, but the tips of the leafs are turning dark green and some the tips are turning brown. I have started using API's leaf zone but if it's doing anything to help it's only a little bit. I have a T5 full spectrum tube light on top of my 30gal which seems like it's good. I have been fighting some what I think is brown algae growth but my fish are doing great and I change out 5gal every week. The changes in colour do seem to be the only issue that my tanks have besides me needing to finish clearing up the brown stuff which is here and there.:help:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What kind of plants?? And pics may help.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I can't remember what the plant is called bit it does reproduce from the tip of the mother plant's leaf.
The pic shows a couple of them the one on the left is older while the sick one is on the right foreground and small. They both have been planted there for at least
A month and the they have never been in any other tank. Sorry for the cloudy and blurry pic I'll get a better one later if you need it.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1415300490712.jpg

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
it's the small plant in front of the rock in the center of the picture and is the same plant as the one to the left of it. I don't think that I can get a closer picture without my phone being in the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What is the color-temp rating (K-rating) of the T5 fixture? Is it a single or twin-tube?

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
T8, full spectrum and the k I can't remember but I think its not optimum for plant growth so maybe 40,000?. I have a steam plant in there that is doing great with the same light.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
PS I did take the plant out and pit it into my aux tank that's 12gal with a bright, white light desk lamp. My platy is getting ready to give birth so the fry need places to hide.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
T8, full spectrum and the k I can't remember but I think its not optimum for plant growth so maybe 40,000?. I have a steam plant in there that is doing great with the same light.

You really need to know what you have for a reliable planted tank setup. It's a T8 and not a T5 I see. That's fine, but it should be something around 6500K for a planted tank. It's kind of a "daylight" white/bluish color.

A single T8 tube may not be enough on a 30g for the plants you have, thus their unhealthiness.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
The light is daylight but it most likely doesn't have enough power to push through the water. I can't afford a new light ATM. I recently moved the tank to a wall where the late afternoon sun hits it, did it because of space issues on my apt. Maybe I can fit a second bulb onto that transformer or I'll get lucky and find a better light at a thrift store.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
A platy was getting read so I sat up my 12 gal to hold the fry and move some of the plants to it so that the fry could hide. I moved the sickly plant there and pit this desk lamp the uses the U shaped fluorescent light, I believe that it has a little brighter light or just just a higher frequency of light and both tanks get an hour or two of filtered late afternoon sun. Over all all of the plants are doing a bit better now and I haven't seen any algae in either tank.

BTW mama platy suffered from a bloat and only three fry survived but they are vary healthy and are growing fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store