Accidental and unprepared Honey Gourami breeding; what should I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slurpuffs

AC Members
Nov 27, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm a first-time fish owner with my wife. She takes care of most of the general Aquarium care and such while I just kind of tag along and help her when needed; however, I do care a lot about our fish. Please keep in mind I am a first time fish owner, I know little to nothing about them, and that you might need to explain things to me as if I'm 5 years old.

We have a very large tank in which we house Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Loaches, Shrimp, and a pair of Honey Gouramis. This tank has a heater and a filter. We also have a small plastic tank that does not have a filter or heater; we mainly use it as a place to keep our fish for about an hour while cleaning their tank. Today while cleaning their tank we noticed what we assumed was a bubble nest, as we had seen our male Gourami making one, but upon closer inspection we found these were actually eggs. We really believe that these eggs belong to our Gourami couple because our male is the only one who builds bubble nests actively, and he was also spending a LOT of time in the little corner he built it in as if guarding the nest.

Anyway, we transferred the eggs from our big tank into a tiny bowl while we cleaned their tank (since their big tank was dirty and we had to put the actual fish in our only other tank, the small one, while we cleaned it.) Once the big tank was clean and all of the fish were back inside of it, the small tank was free, and we put the eggs and the male Gourami in the small tank with some floating plants just as a quick google search suggested. He seemed a bit confused and shocked at first but after a few hours we checked on him again and he has his eggs neatly assigned in a little cluster in a corner.
The issue is, even though he seems ready, we... well, aren't. I've read that you should keep the male and his eggs in their own tank until the eggs hatch and then become free swimming, and then remove the male and raise the fry on their own; however, I'm very worried because the small tank we will have no choice but to keep the fry in doesn't have a filter. I really want these babies to make it, they mean so much to me and I want to keep a few, but I'm scared they won't make it.

I've tried to google search these things and I can't find anything on my circumstance; everything I can find is just "If you want to breed your Gouramis, place them in their own special tank and do the following..." But in my case, the fish bred in the wrong tank, and we only have one other tank to house the fry in. It doesn't have a filter and from what I understand, the fry have to live by themselves until they're big enough to not be eaten. What should I do? We really don't have the money to buy a whole different filter or heater this time, and we never put aside money for it since we didn't expect anything like this to happen. I'm worried that the fry will get sick and die without a filter and I'm also worried that the lack of filter for a few days will affect the male Gourami. Also, I have no clue what to feed Honey Gourami fry once they hatch, or what to do.

My wife and I were thinking that once the Gourami eggs hatch, we should place the male back into the large tank, keep the fry in their small tank, and then wait until the fry become free-swimming. Once they become free-swimming, we were going to poke some holes in a plastic water bottle, put a nylon stocking over the water bottle, put them in the water bottle, and then put the water bottle in our large tank and feed them fine crushed flakes and egg yolk. Would this be okay? And how long should we wait until we just let the babies swim free in the big tank with all the other fish? How should we go about transferring them from the small tank to the water bottle without damaging them?

In general, I just don't know what to do and my wife and I are puzzled and worried. We don't know what to do about the tank, the fry, the male Gourami, or how to raise them, what to expect, etc. Please help quickly, from what I've read these things can hatch in 24 hours.

Thank you!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Unfortunately the Gouramis frey/babies are one of the most difficult to raise. The babies are just sooooo small. They must have lots of food which makes the water difficult to clean. They are so small that their first food must be infusorium. Not too difficult to raise, but must be prepared before babies hatch.

They are too small to eat the food you are planning to feed them (egg yoke, ect) till they grow a little bigger (about 4 weeks depending on temp).

PS--You always take all the fish out to clean your tank?? That is not good.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Slurp- Welcome aboard!

Interesting finding you've got there, but not unusual to have these types of things happen in the hobby.

I'm with tanker, in that removing the fish for tank cleaning can do more harm than good. You should be able to do your tank maintenance and water changes with the fish in place. You can dump the water right down to fin-level.

Slurpuffs

AC Members
Nov 27, 2014
Hi guys, thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate the response. We took a small sample of tank water and put it inside of a jar with a piece of lettuce and put seran wrap over it with a light on it; in other words, we have begun to make our own infusorium and it will hopefully be ready in about 3 days or so. The Gourami eggs haven't hatched yet (I think?) but from what I read, they eat their egg sac for the first 3 days, so hopefully the infusorium will be ready just as they're ready to eat.

The male Gourami seems well still, but my wife and I are wondering if we should remove him once the eggs hatch or once they become free-swimming.

Speaking of which, we're honestly not sure if they've hatched or how to know if they have; from what I read, once the eggs have hatched, they won't even be able to swim until 3 days later due to the yolk sack. The fry are nearly microscopic from what I've heard, so how do I know when they have hatched and when to remove the father?

Some of the eggs are tiny and transparent still, but some of them were grey earlier today. A few hours later, they turned a much darker grey; could these perhaps be the fry developing in their egg?

And regarding the water changes and removing the fish and whatnot, my wife and I honestly didn't know and took in the feedback received regarding that. We had no idea that you should simply clean the tank without removing the fish, and we didn't know that you only have to remove around 20% of the water or so; I researched this and explained what I found and we both agreed that we will no longer do this. We know now, thank you guys so much for bringing that to our attention!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Some setups might only need a 20% water change to keep nitates in check. You need that API master test kit to verify. I don't do less than a 40-50% WC on any of my tanks, even if nitates are under 20ppm.

Slurpuffs

AC Members
Nov 27, 2014
Thank you so much! We plan to pick up some testing kits once the stores here open up again after Jan 2nd.

I'm still not sure what to do about the Gourami though, and I think some of them have developed tails.

Slurpuffs

AC Members
Nov 27, 2014
Thank you so much, I just re-read it!

Update: I went to the pet store to talk to our go-to aquarium advice giver who works there, and she gave us a floating breeding net for the fry, along with a tube that allows you to transport them. She told us that the thing I thought was their bellies are actually their yolk sac; I've been feeding them infusoria for the past 2 days, 5 times a day. Their water is starting to get a bit messy so I plan on giving them one more day to gather up their strength and then performing a water change by vacuuming out some water with a pantyhose over the vaccum to ensure no fry are sucked up.

Some of them are relatively still and a lot of them who were originally on the bottom of the tank have surfaced; I was very worried they were dead, but knowing that almost all of them are still eating their yolk sac and not yet free-swimming, I feel much better knwoing that it doesn't necessarily mean they're dead. About 5 of them or so are very actively swimming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store