Aquarium diseases

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

donnac

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
I have a 55 gallon tank with community fish (Tetras, Molly's, 2 Catfish, 1 Danio, and a Placo)
The Tetras have developed disfiguring growths and eventually died. The Molly's have developed clamped fins and have shimmied from side to side, and sometimes have whites spots that may look like ick. Then the growths are more prominent and eventually the fish died.

This does not seem to affect the Danio, Catfish or Placo.

The Molly's have these issues with either ones that we bought and or born in the tank.

The PH is within the normal range but tends to drop to the acidic side, and water gets tanic (discolored) looking because of the drift wood in the tank.

The water temperature is within normal range.

The fish tank has a bubble stone, a circular, and an E-Heim filter.

I fear that tumors may be caused by a viral illness.

The only stress that the fish are going through is the Danio is chasing the other fish around. The Danio is about 3 inches long, and the tetras are 2 inches, and the Molly's are 1.5 to 2 inches long. The Placo is 7 to 8 inches long and has been in tank since 2009.

There are plenty of plants for the fish to hide or breed. The Molly's do breed but they still get the growths. Eventually killing more fish than I restock with. I do try to do water changes once a month.

*****HELP*****

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Get Methalyne blue i think its called. Look up what it treats, then use that. Pretty sure its for Finrott and ich, cant remember... i used it when i first started in the hobby but yeah. if u cant fix it with water changes dose it.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Yeah.. Looked up what it treats. A fair majority of things from bacterial infections, Fungal Infections, Ammonia, Nitrite Nitrate Poisoning. Pretty much its the go to Medicine for fish. GL

donnac

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
I will look into that medicine. this problem has been around for a while..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
"I do try to do water changes once a month."

Speaks volumes.....exact current readings from that test kit?

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
You said the driftwood is making the water "tanic"..... That doesn't really sound right to me. I mean. you stick the wood in there and that's that, right? Is it uhhh i wouldn't say secreting but that's the best descriptive word i can think of right now, anything. Maybe the driftwood isn't treated and its rotting inside the tank? or are you speaking more along the lines of lighting and reflection.. Before you medicate the tank do all you can before hand.
If you have some pictures we maybe able to identify exactly what is wrong with you're fish which may help us find the problem.

donnac

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
Screenshot_2014-12-27-15-30-13.png this is the driftwood I got from the pet store years ago.I love these pieces but the water gets discolored light brown until I change the water. and also turns acidic. I put some coral and shells in to try and counter this but eventually level falls beck to the acidic end of the scale. i would hate to take the wood out, but thats half the problem, maby I just want all the things that dont go together in my fish tank. I will get some pictures of the fish.

Screenshot_2014-12-27-15-30-13.png

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You said the driftwood is making the water "tanic"..... That doesn't really sound right to me. I mean. you stick the wood in there and that's that, right? Is it uhhh i wouldn't say secreting but that's the best descriptive word i can think of right now, anything. Maybe the driftwood isn't treated and its rotting inside the tank? or are you speaking more along the lines of lighting and reflection.. Before you medicate the tank do all you can before hand.
If you have some pictures we maybe able to identify exactly what is wrong with you're fish which may help us find the problem.
Driftwood will "leach" tannins into the tankwater, typically acidifying the water and causing a brownish discoloration. Harmless for our purposes. Tannic acid is one component of the tannins and is also heavily present in peat and, surprisingly enough, black tea leaves. I know a local discus breeder who acidifies his water by hanging teabags in the tanks. Over time the driftwood will leach less and less into the tank and after a while, years typically, it ceases to do so.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store