Do Platys Eat Green Hair Algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have been having a problem with green hair algae in one of my 20g tanks. I have seen a couple of videos on Youtube that show platys eating the stuff, or at least appearing to eat it. I didn't really want platys, but if they will get the job done, then they will be welcome. Anyone have any experience with this?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've heard they may pick at it, but I don't think you would want to rely on them being efficient removers of it...

I'm a firm believer in trying to figure out the underlying problem(s) with algae, rather than adding fish anyways ;)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
No, they will not eat it. Mollies may.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Platys seem to sift through plants/algae/decor trying to get any tasty bits. Being omnivorous, they might eat it if it was the only thing available I'd think.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Hair algea is a symptom...most likley a symptom of to much nutrients in the water colum.

How offten do you do water changes?
Hiw big is the tank?
Stock?
Filtration?

Hair algea does not hold up well agenst large frequent water changes.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Maculatus platies, which are the common specie, may incidentally eat a little algae, but that isn't a food focus for them. Variatus platies do eat more algae, but their eating of algae is not likely to make much dent in hair algae growth due to how tough it is. They prefer softer algaes.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with all the answers. I have never known any snails that would eat hair algae. Shrimps will eat it, but you would need about 1000 if you have lots of algae.

WC and decreasing nutrients maybe your best way, or a little hydrogen peroxide or Excel if you do it right,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store