Automatic Daily Water Changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
I was in the process of planning for and auto top off system and a semi automated water change system when I came up with this idea that will combine both. The tank is a 55g that I just set up with HOB filtration for now. I would start with a brute trash can full of conditioned water with a small pump inside. The pump would be on a timer set to run say 2min a day. For this example we will say that provides 3g to the tank. I would then have an overflow on the tank that runs to a drain. For example: Pump in 3g make up for a couple cups of evaporation and the difference is wasted out the over flow providing roughly a 5% water change. I then just refill the brute and prime weekly. I could add a heater to the water storage if needed but I don't think It will effect the tank temp considering the relatively small amount being exchanged.

Thought? Am I missing anything? Would this eliminate the need for larger water changes?

My setup is in may basement and I have a floor drain so and Overflow really wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks,
Wes

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
Look up consent drip systems, they are essentially the same thing but done at a slower rate contently. Keep in mind that If volume of clean water you pump into the tank is equal to say 10% of the tank volume over a days time, your water change will not be 10% due to the fact that both old and new water will drain away. The clean water is just diluting the old tank water. That said their is nothing wrong with this you just have to pump more water in than what you think to get the desired turn over rate. Go check out http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php they have a nice calculator for this.

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
Now if you had a pump that first pumped out 10% say that's 5 gallons and then pumped back in 5 gallons from the holding bin that would be a 10% change with only using 5 gallons where as with a drip/overflow system that same 10% change might take 10 gallons.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Neat idea for sure, especially if you have LOTS of tanks to maintain. 55s and under are easier for me to just do weekly bucket tosses. Bigger, I do hose pumps outs and refills.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I did something similar. I had a drip system set up on a central sump that ran 4 tanks. I had a float switch arrangement set that once the water level was high enough, a pump would kick on and pump the water out of the sump and into a floor drain, then switch off when it reached the lower switch.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Nice idea, but like Ewest said, not really enough water % is changed. You would really need to pump out a certain amount and then add fresh to really have a larger percentage change. You would need a heater in your brute, and then I would be careful of putting new water into the brute if the temp is of a great difference, the heater may shatter.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
True, if you look at it from a small snapshot of time or volume....after up and established, the flow would be constant and consistent (in and out). You then adjust the input to greater volume based on your load and feeding patterns. End result is a low nitrate tank without ammonia, nitrite or the work of daily/weekly large volume WCs.

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
Well I have decided to give this a try since I am currently going through a fishless cycle and need something to keep me occupied. I am working on pulling all the pieces together this weekend. I will keep you updated with pictures once I am done.

As for the quantity of water, I'm going to just play with it once my tank is established and see what is needed to keep everything consistent.

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
Well I started working on this today so here is my update:

I built the overflow and it worked great. I just did a siphon overflow out of 1/2" PVC.

i bought a small submersible pump rated at 200 gph. At the height of the tame it delivers .85gpm (51gph). The only problem I am having there is a siphon is created when the pump turns off. I thought about adding an air check valve in the elbow to break it or a breather tube that goes a few inches above the tank. Or even a check valve inline from the pump. Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store