Bristlenose Plecos Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
This is a newbie question of a different variety. A little over a year ago I bought a pair of bristle-nose plecos. Apparently I bought a male and a female. I wasn't trying to breed my plecos, so I wasn't worried about creating the right conditions beyond keeping a healthy aquarium with balanced water parameters. However, nature took it's course, because over the past few weeks several baby bristle noses have appeared in the aquarium. I''ll be giving one of the babies to a friend who also has a healthy freshwater aquarium, but what can I do with the rest? (I've currently spotted 3 babies)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just let them grow in the tank, unless there is no room. Does your LFS take trade in??

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
They can be moved once they leave the nest. How often they breed depends on the water quality, food, and temp. They can breed about once every 2 months.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
You can try offering the fry on Craigslist. That is always my first option. I usually wait til they are about an inch long. The only way to keep them from breeding is to put them in separate tanks. Or try a tank divider. Good luck.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
They can be moved once the leave the nest but they are still really delicate and I wouldn't give them to anyone else until they were at least 3/4"-1" long. If you feed them sliced cucumber or any of the Repashy foods (herbivore or Spawn N Grow) they will grow fairly quickly.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
They can be moved once the leave the nest but they are still really delicate and I wouldn't give them to anyone else until they were at least 3/4"-1" long.
I agree, I just misread the posting. Do not ship or transport till they are about 3/4 inch long. You can move them to another tank once they leave nest.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store