Will my snail be okay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

everglow

AC Members
Mar 15, 2004
Pineapple Under the Sea
Visit site
So I was having some algae problems for awhile so I got a snail then he wasn't doing anything about it for a while so I cleaned the algae and tank out pretty good a couple weeks ago except for one spot on the aquariums side. Well he cleaned it off and now there hasn't been any noticeable algae growth on the tank for a couple weeks should I worry about him starving? It's a 3-4 gallon tank with a Betta and a snail.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Chances are that a lot of the betta's food makes it to the bottom and I am sure the snail will eat that. Otherwise I would continue to clean the front and sides of the tank but leave the back for algae to grow on. If you are still concerned for the snail throw in a piece of veggie for him. I find that a small piece of celery, lettuce, spinach or broccoli work well. It make take a day or so for the snail to approach the veggie but he will find it.

everglow

AC Members
Mar 15, 2004
Pineapple Under the Sea
Visit site
Originally posted by TKOS
Chances are that a lot of the betta's food makes it to the bottom and I am sure the snail will eat that. Otherwise I would continue to clean the front and sides of the tank but leave the back for algae to grow on. If you are still concerned for the snail throw in a piece of veggie for him. I find that a small piece of celery, lettuce, spinach or broccoli work well. It make take a day or so for the snail to approach the veggie but he will find it.
Do veggies even sink that well? My beta has pellets that he eats as soon as he sees me putting them in there. Dumb question but could you post a pic of the size of a piece of anything that you would toss in?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
For a single snail, something about the size of a pea or so. In fact drop in a defrosted frozen pea. They like those. Brocooli tends tpo sink for me. Lettuce or spinach I put a little rock on to hold it down. Celery floats but in my snail only tank by the next day they snails are all over it anyway.

ElPasoSiren

Love hater
Mar 13, 2003
El Paso,Texas
www.geocities.com
You gotta feed your snail veggies or algae wafers because snails cannot survive on algae that grows on the glass or fish food leftovers alone. Snails really don't eat algae that much at all,Snails won't clean that algae off the glass to way you want them to. Give your snail a small piece of cucumber,lettuce,or any other kind of veggie and see how he likes it. If he doesn't eat it within 24 hrs., then take the food out. Then 2 days later,try giving him a different kind of veggie. My snails are very picky so,you have to find out what he likes. Go to www.applesnail.net to find out more info on how to take care of your snail.
Good luck!:)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I beg you pardon? Just what kind of snails do not eat algae, or cannot survive on algae and fishfood leftovers?? Pardon my French, but bullfeathers. I've reared multiple generations of snails in algae filters without any problems.

ElPasoSiren

Love hater
Mar 13, 2003
El Paso,Texas
www.geocities.com
I did not say that snails don't eat algae or fish food leftovers. They do eat algae and fish food. I suggested to everglow that the snail needs at least some kind of veggie. Bettas don't eat that much to begin with and whatever fish flakes of betta pellets are leftover are probably not enough. Everglow said there is only 1 betta and one snail in that tank. Now can you honestly say that what's leftover is enough for that snail? Everyone has a different way to raising snails. You have your way and i have mine. I was just trying to help somebody out and i'm not trying to be rude to anyone here.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by ElPasoSiren
I did not say that snails don't eat algae or fish food leftovers. They do eat algae and fish food. I suggested to everglow that the snail needs at least some kind of veggie. Bettas don't eat that much to begin with and whatever fish flakes of betta pellets are leftover are probably not enough. Everglow said there is only 1 betta and one snail in that tank. Now can you honestly say that what's leftover is enough for that snail? Everyone has a different way to raising snails. You have your way and i have mine. I was just trying to help somebody out and i'm not trying to be rude to anyone here.
Sorry, bud, personal experience says this is off. I have a BOOMING population of snails in both my 29 and 8 gallon tanks. Hundreds of the little guys survive in those tanks strictly off of leftover fish food and algae.

While it is probably true that the snails appreciate the veggies, they do not need it to survive or thrive. Much like me and ice cream.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store