how long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

some_guy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2004
maquoketa, IA
Visit site
i was wondering how long it would take to cycle a 20g tank by adding gravel from my already cycled 10g tank. i am getting the tank tomorrow and how much gravel from my 10g should i put in the new tank.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
IME gravel isn't the best thing to use when you want to cycle a tank. You'd be much better off taking filter material from the 10g and putting that in your 20g filter.

The nitrifying bacteria prefer to colonize areas of the tank that have a high oxygen exchange. Typically the filter or biowheel would be the best spot because of the constant water flow. the exception would be in a tank with an undergravel filter. In that case, a couple of handfuls of gravel would help out. You would want to add a small bioload immediately though and closely monitor the levels being prepared to add either more bacteria from the established tank or Bio Spira.

I have set up three tanks off of an established tanks filter material. Each time the tank cycled immediately. The one time I tried using gravel it didn't work so well. It helped but it didn't cycle the tank.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store