Hello everyone! A question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiquidCucumber

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Hello all, I've been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks, ever since I set up my new aquarium. I'm not exactally a newbie at aqariums, but the stuff I've learned here is pretty extensive. I really only knew stuff about goldfish and tetras and simple docile fish. But after setting up a semi-agressive 20 gallon I was wondering what else I could put in it. So far I have the following:

1 Upside Down Catfish
1 Black Fin Catfish
2 Gourami's
2 Giant Danios
12 Ghost Shrimp

The guy at my LFS seems to act like I really can't put anything else in my tank. I know the Black Fin could get very large, but if and when that happens I will take him and trade him. I'm thinking there has to be some other kind of fish that would hold its own. But if there is my LFS guy seems to be stupified.

Thanks to everyone for all their info so far!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I would have to agree with the LFS guy, that'a staocked pretty well for a 20g. Another problem you will have is the Ghost shrimp. If you put them in there as a food source, fine, If not they will still be eaten. The Black Fin will eat them, and the giant Danio's will eat them or at least harass them to death eventually. the other major qustion is what type of gourami, Gourami's range from 3" to over 20" If you have Blues, Opaline's or Pearls, you tank won't be big enough for them, if you have dwarf's you will be OK after you trade in the Black fin. I'm kind of like the LFS guy in that I'm drawing blanks, if you add something it will have to be able to hold it's own with the Gourami's which tend to be a little more aggressive in smaller tanks, It will also have to be a very small fish, That rules out a lot of things. Tiger barbs are the only thing that come to mind, but they get over 2 inches, and can be a real terror for Gourami's, especially in a crowded tank. I really don't know what to reccomend, and think you would be better off not adding. JMO, and HTH

LiquidCucumber

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Yeah, the shrimp were cheap so I just got them for kicks. I realize they will die sometime soon. I guess I didnt realize that the blue gourami's would get that big. But anyway, what tank size would you reccomend if I got rid of the black fin?

Also on a moral note, I believe that wal-mart should be shut down (just got back from there). They have a large stock of fish and keep very poor care of them. Not only that, they tend to sell things like plecos, oscars, iridescent sharks and the like that look cute when they're small, but will definately get very big. I mean I guess its all good and fine if you want to keep your fish for a little while, then release him in a stream or something (its acutally not all good! fish are living animals too!)

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Wal-Mart also stocks pacu and dead fish in my area. Seems I can never go in there and not see dead fish. You know its hard not to say something when an employee is selling a person a 10 gallon tank and 15 feeder goldfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store