Can you ID this fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
My sister caught a few of these things in a local creek. This one died, so I took some pictures of it before flushing it to see if I could ID it.

I can't find anything, so I was hoping someone here might recognize it. All I know is that it's from a creek somewhere in Santa Clara County (I believe) CA. It does not have an adipose fin, so it's not a baby trout or anything like that, and it's about 1" long.

The picture isn't the best one i took in terms of lighting, but it shows the coloration/pattern on the fish and its overall body shape much better than any of the others, so...

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
I said they looked like baby trout, too, but my dad (who is a zoologist) looked at them and said they weren't, because they didn't have adipose fins.

I looked at this one, and I couldn't find an adipose fin on it either, so I assume that it is some kind of a minnow... I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what species it might be.

Also, the other reason I tend to doubt they're trout is that the 2 remaining ones (the 2 that didn't jump out of the jar when I put the sponge filter in... of which the one in the pic was one; the other was alive, but barely, when I put it back, and was killed by a water beetle) are doing very well, and they're in an unheated, uncooled teeny tiny jar (like 3.5" in diameter and 5.5" tall), and they're not bothered by the water temperature, which is in the mid-to-high 70s during the day.

I don't think trout can handle that kind of heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store