10 gallon cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
ok. tommorrow i am getting a ten gallon set up, with some live rock, maybe 6 or 7 pounds. and some live sand.

my question is, how long will it take for this tank to cycle, if the live rock is "cured". it is aquacultured localy, and my lfs went and got it yesterday.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
a related question

that's kind of a hard question ,"for me anyway". In my tank I added like .5lb per gallon of fully cured l.R. with some live sand and other dead sand substrate. My cycle went really fast but, I had to buy more live rock after it was over to reintroduce killed by the ammonia. I've often times wondered if you are attempting a set up like this if you could just fill the tank with l.r. and ls. Then fed it like you would for a fully stocked tank. Then after a couple weeks added your stock. Kind of a kinder gentler cycle That wouldn't do so much harm to invert life. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS just wondering if it would work.
Sorry to hijack your thread
Chris

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
but with that much cured live rock and live sand, would the tank even cycle?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It shouldn't have a big spike. I personally would want to challenge it with some ammonia--add enough to get 1ppm reading, wait 24 hours and re-test, before trusting any livestock in there. A 10 is tough to keep stable, and adding livestock without having some time to figure out when to topoff for FW, how much, etc would make it really challenging.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
oh yeah, note the small star fish. i counted 27 this morning

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store