Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Juthunter28

AC Members
May 11, 2004
Visit site
My moms community betta that has been in her tank for 3 months now just developed either a bacteria infection or a severe wound on the side of his mouth. It is like a huge white blob. Anyway i can treat him while not harming any other fish? thanks. Justin

mt_marcy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Sounds as if your betta has got fungus either from an infection or from a post effect of a wound...treat him with a fungus cure medication. I'm not 100% sure if treating him in a cummunity tank will harm other fish(but if betta is left untreated and the fungus is due to an infection then your other fish might get it as well), but if you have another tank that you can use as a quaentine tank, I'd take the betta out of your cummunity tank and treat him seperately in there. Good Luck,
mt_marcy!

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Ditto. But if it had to happen to any fish in a community tank, betta is the best one for it to happen to, if you don't have a hospital tank.

I say take him out and put him in anything big enough to hold him and give him room to move around (something preferably not tall like a vase, even a small tupperware bowl will do). If you don't have an extra heater, put the bowl somewhere warm (on top of the tv, if it's always on like it is in my house :) or maybe on a windowsill in the sunlight).

Go to LFS and get some Melafix - if that's not available look for something that will cure a fungus or infection. Treat the betta separately. But also do a water change in the tank asap, and keep an eye out for signs of the same thing on the other fish. If it doesn't pop up soon on other fish then they should be in the clear.

Good luck!
~Tara

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store